Chinese-Forums

Meaning of the Song 东山飘雨西山晴

YuehanHao

这年我常常听邓丽君的音乐。我很喜欢她的歌。大多数歌我终于听得懂,可是一些歌我只一点儿懂。一首歌是《东山飘雨西山晴》。全天我想要吹口哨这个歌。

The imagery of weather on East Mountain and West Mountain (or east and west sides of the same mountain) seems to be a metaphor for the main idea of the song, but I can't understand the second part of the song well enough to decide precisely what that message is. I am grateful if someone can help explain this meaning to me.

谢谢。

The song is in Cantonese.

This is my interpretation -> I am here (East Mountain) and you are there (West Mountain). We have parted and at first I was very unhappy and you enjoyed yourself (the weather of the first part) so much having no idea how I suffered. Now I have gradually recovered and you have started to regret (the weather of the second part) and beg for my forgiveness. Looking back I realise how unwise I was . The decision has been made and there is no good regretting. I wish you all the best nonetheless.

The lyrics ->

遠在東邊的山丘正下雨 看西山這般天色清朗 歌滿處

情是往日濃 愁是這陣深

未知東山的我 期待雨中多失意

雨後東邊的山色已漸朗 這一刻見到西山飄雨 風肆意

回望已恨遲 難像往日癡

儘管今天的你 含淚強忍乞寬恕

雨過了後方知當初不智 作了決定不必牽掛住

你要接受今天身邊一切 我會向你祝福 一生都得意

Listen

谢谢,skylee. Several others among the set of songs I have from 邓丽君also seem to be in Cantonese, such as 忘记他 and 漫步人生路, but I could at least understand the basics from the written lyrics. Embarrassingly enough, it took me a while to realize the songs were probably in Cantonese -- a major breakthrough for me! My listening skills are so poor, that even now I can still hear them coming through in a way that sounds similar to 普通话 sung with an affected accent. 哈哈!

谢谢!