Chinese-Forums

Walmart starting to sell Asian Pop

CatfishAttack

Looks like you'll be able to buy Jay Chow CD at walmart very soon

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=ARTIST.4104&search_query=Jay+Chou

Raine Yang, Wang Leehom, Jordan Chan, James Li and others

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/category.do?cat=14544&bti=1

Panda

www.LearnEZChinese.com

i'm wondering, though, whether the cd's will be available in the stores themselves, or just online, cuz they have plenty of online only products, just like best buy and comp usa do, for example. it would be awesome if these cd's were in the stores though. i think the average narrow-minded walmart customer would probably get upset if they saw "oriental" singers on the shelves. it's a shame

• 4 weeks later...

You know, call me inflexible and possessive, but I'm just one of those people who don't like the commercialization of Asian culture. To pull a random and possibly unrelated example, look at what has happened to anime and manga. After massive distribution of the two in the United States, I feel like Americans have subconsciously reduced the Japanese culture to colorful hair and weird costumes.

I wish Asian pop albums would be available only and only in Asian stores.

I wish Asian pop albums would be available only and only in Asian stores.

... and Westerners should be barred from visiting Asia?

What would happen if someone opened up an Asian store in, say, London?

See, the problem is not westerners listening to Asian songs, but westerners reducing the Asian culture to Asian icons like Jay Zhou and Jackie Chan. I'm not particularly articulate right now, but it is disheartening to see, for example, an American thinking he's an expert on the Asian culture because they eat at Panda Express, watch anime, see all Jackie Chan / Jet Li / Stephen Chow movies, etc. etc. Please.

Besides, I suspect that Walmart is just exploiting the growing interest in anything Asia. Though in this case, Asia is really either China or Japan. Because there are only two countries in Asia.

Hablo, the same thing happens to "western" culture too. Think how many Chinese, Indians, etc and others think they know American culture by eating at McDonalds and watching Hollywood and listening to rap music?

Or even better, how many Americans (even of italian descent) know about their culture since its been reduced to the name Mario, Pizza, Spaghetti and maybe opera.

It happens everywhere. I hate Wal Mart for a number of reasons and try to avoid them, but they are doing what any for profit institution would do in this matter, expand into a growing market. I can and will fault them for a number of things, but this is not one of them.

See, the problem is not westerners listening to Asian songs, but westerners reducing the Asian culture to Asian icons like Jay Zhou and Jackie Chan.

Have you thought about that statement deeply? You can say also:

See, the problem is not mainstream people listening to Rap songs, but mainstream people reducing the Rap culture to Rap icons like Eminem.

Isn't she cool: http://www.biku.com/opus/showopus.do?opusid=132360

PS: I simple don't buy items that I am not interested it. I would not demand that the shop sells only stuff that I like.