Chinese-Forums

fishing for compliments

randall_flagg

really a brain-teaser....."拐弯抹角“,“含沙射影”,“声东击西”...ummm,all can't fit it...now i come to know that how limited my vocabulary is...i should have paid more attention to "语文" when in elementary school..:wink: ....ah....something ,something flashing in my mind...."醉翁之意不在酒"..nahhh..uh oh..it is used when you point out one's intention that he tries to hide with another intention...well..now i realize that i can't simply translate it without context....

"he is just fishing for your compliment".....

"他(转来转去)无非就是想得到你的称赞”...well..i surrender..that is my last inspiration(the plainest one,without any idiom).....hope it make a little help on you..:)

Thanks, YETIboy1230!

But I'm a bit disappointed. That’s all there is? Thousands and thousands of chengyus, describing the most impossible of all phenomena and there is none for “fishing for compliments” (yes, as in “She’s just fishing for compliments, of course she knows that she is not too fat!”)? Should I burn all my Chinese flashcards and start learning Swahili or can anyone come up with a catchy phrase?

Thanks,

Randall

Hehe, funny. Wouldn't it be a coincidence that we have '沽名钓誉' here in our chengyu reservoir? But it is a little overdue to be used in your example though

i can't agree with you more...if we still insist on using a "chengyu" in that case,we are really"矫揉造作”了,

"of course,she knows she is not fat and she is just fishing for compliment"...if i want to say this to someone in my real life,i would most likely to say:"她当然知道她自己不胖,无非是想别人赞美她罢了“...of course,it is just my own yet another understanding about it

...well..i think the fittest/closest[at least to me] is the cheng yu"欲扬故抑”...er,i hear a voice"where can i place it in the whole sentence if i use it?"......ah...."她当然知道她自己不胖,无非是欲扬故抑罢了"...wow wow....now i find something catchy floating out ...that is it...."欲扬故抑"....there is a strong posibility that i'll use it in this situation[on the condition that i have learned it before:wink: ]