Chinese-Forums

偷格加印 / 停格加印

Paolo

Does anybody know how the 偷格加印 / 停格加印 cinema technique is called in English? I am translating some articles on Wong Kar-wai's shooting techniques and I got stuck on it.

This is what a footnote says: 所谓偷格加印 (停格加印),是在剪片过程中把每格菲林重印二至三次,造成断续的节奏 .

I perfectly understand what this technique is about, but I can't find the good expression to translate it effectively (after finding the equivalent in English I have to work on the Italian version of it, but this is another story :mrgreen: )

The Chinese term should be a back-translation of an English expression used by film critic David Bordwell in his book Planet Hong Kong: Popular Cinema and the Art of Entertainment (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard UP, 2000), but I don't have access to this book so I can't check the original.

Does anyone own Bordwell's book? Or can anyone with a penchant for cinema propose a translation?

Thanks in advance!

A buddy from a Cantonese forum told me he has checked the original book by Bordwell at HK Central Library.

He says this technique is called stretch-printing in English.

In As tears Go By he [Wong] devised the technique of shooting action at only eight, ten, or twelve frames per second and then “stretch-printing” the result to the normal twenty-four frames. The comparatively long exposure during filming makes movement blur, while the printing process, repeating each frame two or three times, produces a jerky pulsation. Wong shifts visual accents by using different rates of stretch-printing, adding or deleting frames at different points. (p.277)