Chinese-Forums

How do you say "Isn't teaching the same thing 4 times boring?"?

anonymoose

I'm teaching in China at the moment, and have 4 parallel classes where I have to teach the same material. After teaching it 4 times over, it gets rather boring.

Anyway, I was just wondering how to say this in Chinese: "Isn't teaching the same thing four times over boring?"

My version: 把同样的内容教四遍不是有点无聊吗?

I'm not sure if my version is correct/natural or not, so any advice from native speakers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm teaching in China at the moment, and have 4 parallel classes where I have to teach the same material[/b']. After teaching it 4 times over, it gets rather boring.

I bolded the stupid part. No two classes are identical. Even if you have to use exactly the same material (which you shouldn't), the response will be different. That is at least my experience from teaching Swedish for immigrants and several other subjects (English, German, Maths, Physics, Chemistry...) to adults for a couple of years.

Even (again) using the same material, you could use it in several different ways, as long as you get the intended result. In one class, you might have to concentrate on some grammar problem, next time you want to stress vocabulary, and the third time you devote most of the time to pronunciation. Variation all the time; no chance to get bored!

I completely agree with Lugubert, but also understand that people's approaches can be different, so I wonder if it's possible to teach the first class whatever you need to teach, and tape record the whole session. For the remaining three classes, you just simply press the playback button three times.

(Mind you, pressing the same button three times can also induce boredom in some people! :wink: )

Originally Posted by Lugubert

I bolded the stupid part. No two classes are identical. Even if you have to use exactly the same material (which you shouldn't), the response will be different. That is at least my experience from teaching Swedish for immigrants and several other subjects (English, German, Maths, Physics, Chemistry...) to adults for a couple of years.

Even (again) using the same material, you could use it in several different ways, as long as you get the intended result. In one class, you might have to concentrate on some grammar problem, next time you want to stress vocabulary, and the third time you devote most of the time to pronunciation. Variation all the time; no chance to get bored!

Lugubert, oh great master, if only I had the same natural teaching talent as you, there would be no problem. I am teaching mechanics according to the well-defined Cambridge International Examinations A-level syllabus, and perhaps I am just lacking in imagination, but I fail to see the relevance of grammar problems, vocabulary, and pronunciation to the material I am supposed to be teaching.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the stupid part in my post, and enlightening me. :tong