Chinese-Forums

Getting a haircut-- "layers" in Chinese?

jie2li4

大家好!

I have been living in Taiwan for four months now and want to go get my hair cut. Although I'll probably bring a picture for reference, I want to be able to describe to the stylist what I want. I can't figure out, though, how to say that I want to get my hair layered/ cut in layers. I guess this is a rather obscure expression as I can't seem to find it in any dictionary... So I'd really appreciate your help! Also, any other useful terms related to getting a haircut would be great as well. Thanks a lot!

jie2li4, are you white? If you are and the hairdresser you go to cuts your hair well, could you let me know which hairdresser it is? I spent a year in Taiwan some time ago, and it basically was a bad hair year, as the hairdressers couldn't handle my hair (too different from Asian hair, I guess). I'm planning to go back soon and would prefer not to have that again.

Dear Lu:

Hoo, yeah, I am a little worried about that. ^^; I am indeed white, and my hair is thick and orange. I've heard that Western hair is different from Asian hair, though I don't really understand how this is. My hair is starting to bug me and I really want to get it cut, and I'm kind of thinking it might be an experience worth the risk... But perhaps not? Maybe I should try doing some asking around before just walking into a random hair salon. ^^;; I'm going to be here for a whole year as well, so I think I'll have to get a haircut eventually. Or maybe I should just let my hair grow long for the year. :roll:

I am indeed white, and my hair is thick and orange. I've heard that Western hair is different from Asian hair, though I don't really understand how this is.

It's not that it's different, it is that the hair stylists around you have little idea what to do with it. They may also not often be around other non-Chinese which compounds the lack of ideas. They are lacking in confidence and their work will show that lack of confidence.

I am yellow, and my hair is thick and black. Having been born and raised in the US, I can tell you that in at least several occasions (especially in rural areas where non-whites are seldom seen), the reciprocal situation has occurred to me. Now, if I can find Asian hair stylists, my own confidence level is increased. They'd better know how to work with my hair. They've got the same stuff!

Sounds like a good business proposition. Get some hair stylists into China who know how to hack non-Chinese hair, and they've got themselves some regular clients. Write to Supercuts?

So how to get around this in the meanwhile? I've thought that it would be easy for a hair stylist in the US to advertise "We know how to work with Yellow people's hair..." But then again, they'd get sued by the emotionally frail PC police and the advertisement would essentially backfire. In "all-white places," as a guy, I've sought out an attractive white woman hair dresser and simply told her that "if it looks good to her, it'll look good to me..." It's worked as a pretty good stop-gap solution.

In the meanwhile, thank goodness that we're men. Hair jobs for women cost a lot more; and if it's butchered...there will be more distress and greater destructive fallout.

In the meanwhile, thank goodness that we're men.

Erhm, well, you may be a man, Long Zhiren, but I happen to be a woman-- I have quite nice hair, too. =/

You do make a good point though-- maybe hairstylists just lack confidence because they've never worked with Western hair and have the perception that it's different. I wonder if I went to someplace where there are known to be a lot of foreigners (such as Tianmu), I'd be able to find a place that's worked with Westerners before.

Well, I am white and male living in 台中縣. Guys can have the same problem finding a good stylists, I had a friend who got a horrid chop about a month ago. Myself on the other hand was really lucky... the first stylist I went to had spent some time in America and worked there as well. First cut was looking good so I keep going back to this guy.

I hope the OP has the same luck!!

Shaun

I think Western hair is different from Asian hair. My hair is curly and quite fine, while Asian hair is usually thick and straight. Asian hairdressers only learnt to deal with Asian hair (and who can blame them), and just don't know how to handle Western hair. I know the reverse is true when Chinese people come to the West. Maybe you can try and find a hairdresser in Chinatown.

And why would it be un-PC for a hair stylist to advertise that they can handle Asian hair? We're all equal, but that doesn't mean we're all the same, especially when it comes to looks, and it would be stupid to ignore that.

Long Zhiren: Your business proposition has occured to me too. Ask the foreign community in, say, Taipei to invest in sending a few hairdressers abroad to learn about foreign hair. They'll be happy with the clientele they get when they come back, foreign community is happy to end their bad hair life.

In the meantime, I'll go with your suggestion (but with the sexes reversed of course):

In "all-white places," as a guy, I've sought out an attractive white woman hair dresser and simply told her that "if it looks good to her, it'll look good to me..." It's worked as a pretty good stop-gap solution.

jie2li4: Might be useful to ask around. If the haircut completely fails, go to Ximending and get yourself a nice hat. That's what I did :-)

Asian and European hair are very different. Asian hair is flattened in cross-section, and there tend to be less follicles per square centimetre on the scalp. The flattened cross-section somehow gives Asian hair more 'gloss', and the hair goes white later in life. On the other hand, European hair is thicker and fuller - I can get a No 2 cut with the clippers, and you still can't see my scalp!

I have thick long wavy hair and I have had the best ever hair cuts of my life in Hong Kong.

The first time was at the Disney Resort so I guess they are kind of used to "foreign hair" there, but the second time I just walked in off the street to some small place in Kowloon and I am so in love with my hair now. The guy who cut it didnt speak much English but he did an amazing job. I paid $50 for a straightening treatment that costs $700 to get done in NZ (Yes, $700) and 5 months later it is still perfect. I cant wait to get my hair cut in China!

In HK, they know how to cut western hair because of their history as a British colony and all the western businesses and tourism. No problem in HK.

In China, I've gotten haircuts that were ma ma hu hu. Anyway, it grows back, with any luck. The best part is the massage.

For the ladies, honestly, I recommend letting you hair grow long and just getting it trimmed. Why? Simply because I like long hair. I think it's more feminine. (Beats bringing a toy, per another thread.) Try it, you might come back and thank me for my suggestion (rather than calling me a sexist, blah-blah-blah, and getting a bad haircut in the process). :wink:

Hair cut options regardless of what country you are in:

1) Look at the stylist hair. Fried, unhealthy, doesn't even suit their own face~ don't let them come close to you wieding anything sharp or hot. If they can't do their own hair what do you expect them to do for you?

2) Attitude. Find someone who is willing to listen to what you want. Don't accept the whole 差不多 I hate my job and am going to rush you through attitude.

3) Work up a relationship. Maybe start off with something simple with a new stylist. If you like the stylist you can go back. Even if they don't have experience with your hair, a GOOD stylist will want to learn, and can get better. This may be a better option for the lower priced salons. This way you can go back more frequently.

4) They have ideas, but want to work with you. Don't let them tell you what you want.

5) Try to work it to your advantage. If a stylist owns their own equipment, shears, etc. They may want more opportunities to practice or occasionally looking for hair models, etc. It never hurts to know people in this industry.

I haven't had my hair cut in Beijing because I place a high importance on the relationship aspect of the service.I will stick with a stylist based on their attitude even if they only have reasonally good ability. I just haven't had my hair cut in China b/c I haven't really invested the effort to do this. In the US for example I would only get a hair cut based on recommendation, but will keep in touch with former stylists and such. More so than experience is work ethic and attitude. If you are going to be abroad for a long time and don't want to get a hack job, it will probably require some research and luck. I don't really buy the inexperience excuse b/c I have had white and happa friends who did the Jet program in tiny places in Japan and have had great experiences with haircuts (the guys with straight razors too). I firmly believe any real stylist (as in posseses a minimum amount of skill) should be able to do hair reasonably well (as in not completely and utterly screwing it up) the first time and progressively better each additional time.

For the ladies, honestly, I recommend letting you hair grow long and just getting it trimmed. Why? Simply because I like long hair. I think it's more feminine. (Beats bringing a toy, per another thread.) Try it, you might come back and thank me for my suggestion (rather than calling me a sexist, blah-blah-blah, and getting a bad haircut in the process).
I'm not going to call you sexist (actually I like long hair for men, doesn't make me a sexist either, does it), but I've had very long hair and my hair just looks better shorter & in layers. So letting it grow long is not really an option for me.

As to heifeng's advice, it does sound good, but what a mafan to go through if you just want a haircut...

Tuxoar, do you have an address of this stylist? A good haircut in Taizhong is still better than a bad one in Taipei.

I'm not going to call you sexist (actually I like long hair for men, doesn't make me a sexist either, does it)

Speaking as one non-sexist to another, I totally respect your decision, but now you owe us a full report after you get your first haircut. Good luck! :wink:

I'll try to postpone that as long as I can (get a haircut here before leaving for Taipei, stay for a bit, come back, get another haircut, stay for a longer time.. don't hold your breath for that full report, won't come for some months :-p )