Chinese-Forums

Happy New Year cutie pies

Xiao Kui

1. what do you call the little boy and girl everyone decorates their doors with at Spring Festival?

2. Are they a type of 门神 or are they too young to be gods?

Thanks in advance for the info, and if I can think of any more silly questions I'll let you know!

Thanks so much Koneko.

BTW the reason I don't consult wikipedia first before coming to the forums is it's blocked from China, which means accessing via proxy, and with my proxy in the US it's been slow to access since the infamous underseas cables were busted. I didn't see these kids mentioned in your wiki article but by the definition it gave for door gods, I guess they would make the cut.

The pleasure is mine. :mrgreen:

Is Wikipedia still being banned in China? :(

I thought it was over a while ago and people from that particular region were allowed to access to limited sections of Wikipedia.

Well, you can actually combine 金童 and 玉女 to form a popular saying in Chinese, i.e., 金童玉女 which can be roughly translated into "a perfect couple; matching couple"

If you google image 金童玉女 (click link below), you can see some couples (as the saying) and of course the cutie pies as you mentioned.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=%E9%87%91%E7%AB%A5%E7%8E%89%E5%A5%B3&btnG=Search+Images

• 2 weeks later...