Chinese-Forums

Correct my grammar (please)

SeekerOfPeace

chinese grammar is basically very logical, the order in which you say things is the order in which those things happened.
Try it if you like and if you think it helps, but please believe me, it's a fallacy. Any natural language at all will not be so logical. :D

• 2 weeks later...

"everyone's done a great job of explaining.

i just wanted to throw in my 2 pennies worth:

chinese grammar is basically very logical, the order in which you say things is the order in which those things happened.

ie: last night a friend and i had dinner in a restaurant in london.

in chinese, you can't eat without going to the restauarant first, you can't go to the restaurant without going to london first...

zuo wan, wo he wo peng you qu lundun de yi jia fanguan chi fan.

(sorry can't seem to get mdbg type chinese to work) '

well, as a native chinese speaker and an english major i actually never realized this difference. what goldie said is indeed very inspiring

personally, i think logical reasons may not be the best explaination to this difference. i feel that in the chinese language verbs are just preferable to be seen at the end of each sentence.

ie. 我昨天在这个论坛发帖了 while in english it is "i posted in this forum yesterday".

• 2 weeks later...

As the topic has re-surfaced, I'll tell you a conversation between a Chinese, a Japanese and an Irishman I overheard in a pub about the word-order in their languages:

The Chinese said: "The Chinese word order is very logical. You see, in saying 'I drink my beer', 'I' needs to exist first before the action of 'drinking beer' is possible, hence the order 'I drink beer'."

The Japanese interrupted: "Wait a minute, 'beer' needs to exist before you can 'drink', so the object should logically come before the verb, as in the Japanese 'I beer drink'."

The Irishman quickly retorted: "Then, how can you explain 'Bob built a house' ? Can the house exist even before it is built? and how did 'Bob' manage to come about? For anything to happen at all, actions are first required. Therefore, the verb should precede both the subject and object, as it does in the Irish language".

Now, what do you think? Who among the three above is the more logical? :wink:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? You put us in a Catch-22 situation here. :mrgreen:

I would say that Subject-Verb-Object is more logical since 75% of world's languages fall under this category, including English, Chinese, Russian, Malay, Thai, etc

K.

I believe in being nice to you, even if it's only a pretence :mrgreen: , so I am afraid I can't help you on this occasion, Koneko.

PS: But being nice, I think I can still give you a hint: try looking for it in some online etymology dictionaries. :D