Chinese-Forums

How can I say this?

cintiaghimel

How can I use 2 verbs in a sentence in chinese? E.g. I want to read a book. Is it like

我 要 看 书.

I get confused because you don't have conjunctions in mandarin chinese and sometimes it's hard for me to get used to sentences like this (if it is actually correct).

How can I use 2 verbs in a sentence in chinese? E.g. I want to read a book. Is it like

我 要 看 书.

That's it. Some Chinese grammarian call it 连动式.

I get confused because you don't have conjunctions in mandarin chinese

Actually, strictly speaking, Chinese has conjunctions, but doesn't have the infinitive 'to do'. If you want to use 2 verbs, or rather you want to express 2 continuous actions in a sentence, usually just arrange the two verbs in sequence.

e.g.

I want to go to China. 我/北京。

They plan to buy a house. 他们计划一套房子。

He borrows money from the bank to buy a house. 他从银行房。

And if there is a duration between the two verbs, or do the 1st verb in order to do the 2nd one, you may add 去 or 来 sometimes between the two verbs.

e.g.

She took a cup of tea to drink. 她了一杯茶来

He took up a kitchen knife to cut carrots. 他拿起菜刀(去)胡萝卜。

Besides, don't forget Chinese has auxiliary verbs, like 能(can), 可以(may), 应该(should), 敢(dare), 会(will), 需要(need) and so on. The usage of them is almost the same with that of English.

e.g.

I can fly. 我能飞。

You should go to shcool. 你应该去上学。

Thanks for the reply...I'm just starting with chinese...actually I've been studying for 4 months but as I'm studying by myself and don't have too much time to dedicate I took a little long to get into the chinese grammar properly. I'll start bothering you guys with beginners' questions soon...:D