Chinese-Forums

Midi Festival: May 1-4

doumeizhen

(Copied directly out of the pages of the that's Beijing newsletter)

2007 MIDI Modern Music Festival

With 90 bands and 57 musicians, the eight-year-old Midi fest is going to be another feast of rock, hip hop, folk, experimental and electronic music this Labor day holiday. Just like last year, there will be 40 foreign and local bands on the main stage. The music kicks off at 1pm every day and finishes up at 9pm. Apres Midi will also be taking place from May 1-5 and will give many of MIDI’s overseas acts a chance to play at the more intimate Star Live. For more details please visit midifestival.com, midi.sina.com.cn or www.ygtwo.com. RMB 50/day, RMB100/four days. Haidian Park (6282 2006/7/8/9)

From what I've heard these are a great deal of fun. And what with the weather the way it is...

Oh, I can't stand MIDI music!

Several years ago I bought some instrumental CDs in China. The featured instrument was real but the accompaniment was always MIDI, which really ruined it for me. I also bought some Christmas CDs only to discover the classics had been MIDI-fied.

Ehm, unless you're being really sarcastic you don't seem to know that the Midi Festival has nothing to do with the actual musical term "MIDI"? Or then you do know and just wanted to share your feelings about MIDI anyway :lol: Anyway, the name of the festival comes from the Beijing Midi School of Music, the original sponsor for the festival.

And I think saying "With 90 bands and 57 musicians, the eight-year-old Midi fest is going to be another feast of rock, hip hop, folk, experimental and electronic music this Labor day holiday" explains a lot. Going there would be so cool, I have the Midi festival 2004 and 2005 DVDs and I've known about the festival since its beginning but never had the chance to actually be in Beijing when it happens. I consider it a very important event for the local music scene.

It's one of the best outdoor events in the mainland. This year, there's a bit of competition from the chaoyang park festival which is kinds weird. They shouldn't have had both of them going on at the same time.

Also, many of the bands playing MIDI are playing a series of after hours shows called "apres-midi" around the lama temple area. check piao.com.cn for details