Chinese-Forums

prepositional phrases

murrayjames

Hello,

I am a beginner Mandarin student. Here's my question:

Do prepositional phrases generally follow the object of a Subject-Verb-Object sentence? For example, are these sentences correct (or are the prepositions misplaced)?

Can I drink your beer at home?

可以喝你的啤酒在家吗?

I touch the dog in public.

我摸狗公开。

I'm also not sure if these sentences are ambiguous or not. In English, my first sentence is potentially unclear--I'm asking either to drink your beer *while I am* at home, or I'm asking to drink your beer *that is* at home. Does this ambiguity also exist in Chinese?

Thanks, and I'm glad I found this forum. What a great resource!

-murrayjames

Clauses that modify the verb should come before the verb. The ambiguity you mentioned in your first sentence wouldn't exist in Chinese.

"May I, while at home, drink your beer?" = 我可以在家喝你的啤酒吗?

"May I drink the beer of yours that is at home?" = 我可以喝你的在家的啤酒吗?

(That second one can probably be said less awkwardly, but I think it's not grammatically incorrect.)

koreth, thanks for your response

could i trouble you for the pinyin of the sentences you wrote? I don't recognize a few of the characters :oops: just a beginner!

-murrayjames

Sure, no problem:

"May I, while at home, drink your beer?" = 我可以在家喝你的啤酒吗 = wo3 ke3yi3 zai4 jia1 he1 ni3 de pi2jiu3 ma

"May I drink the beer of yours that is at home?" = 我可以喝你的在家的啤酒吗 = wo3 ke3yi3 he1 ni3 de zai4 jia1 de pi2jiu3 ma?

(But I think those are all characters you used in your message, just in different orders.)

And the 2nd one:

"I touch the dog in public."

我当众摸那只狗。Wo3 dang1zhong4 mo1 na4zhi1 gou3.

Don't forget to add the measure word 只 beafore 狗 when you denoted the particular dog.:)