Chinese-Forums

Need suggestions on where to buy music in Beijing.

magores

I've been in Beijing for a while now, and I still haven't found a really good place to buy music.

In fact, best place I've found so far was some hole in the wall in Inner Mongolia.

As far as western music - I'd would be particularly interested in "hippie music", funk, and some 70s-80's heavy metal.

-Grateful Dead, Phish, YMSB, Primus, Parliament, Black Sabbath, and stuff like that. Devo, Joe Jackson, and Jimmy Buffett would also be cool.

As far as Chinese music - The best mainland music I've heard is XTX and Cold Blooded Animal.

Any suggestions on where to find more things that suit my taste?

Thanks in advance

hehe - I should have known someone would make a comment about the "buy" and "music", but what can I say? I like store bought CDs.

And, I have a large collection of bootlegged live concerts with me in China, but almost none of those came from MP3. they're all from flac and shn.

I'm just an audiophile I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

For Chinese music, I pretty much found the stuff I needed just walking along Wangfujing, there's at least 3-4 places that also store a pretty decent amount of Chinese rock music (bought my copy of XTX and Cold Blooded Animal there, among others), but the amount of authentic Western music is of course limited. (It was maybe the bottom floor of Wangfujing Bookstore where I bought my first cds in China.) And I'm really not a fan of pirated stuff, that's the reason I basicly just shopped for local music when in Beijing (bought about 80 Chinese rock cds on the two trips I've done to Beijing, most of them I hope to be authentic). But without really looking, I remember walking into a lot little music shops with tons of pirated copies of all kind of Western music (I might've bought just a few, I admit..) but I really don't remember where all these shops are..

And also, yeah, I myself love buying cds and I will keep doing that even if it kills me (maybe if I'm really broke I can literally chew on some album I don't like anymore. Wouldn't be too tasty though. Ok don't take this too seriously :D )

• 1 month later...

Try FAB at Wangfujing 王府井. It's in Oriental Plaza (东方广场, if I recall correctly). In case you don't know, there are many, many buses that go by (and near to) there, not to mention the subway. Of course, even in the nice stores there's pirated music.