Chinese-Forums

an appropriate way to say "cheesy"

tallynole

Can you give a definition of "cheesy" in English?
"Cheesy" is a word that makes the user feel vaguely sophiticated, superior in some way. It's one of those "feel-good" words. :mrgreen:

(By the way, my dictionary defines "cheesy" as "containing or resembling cheese" !)

I think part of the problem is that "cheesy" is a slang word that is rather difficult to define in English, at least from my perspective, and so, isn't likely to appear as a common entry from E-C dictionaries. The Urban Dictionary, however, has one particular pithy candidate entry that I think gives a good attempt at defining the word: "sentimental, maudlin, melodramatic, corny."

Given the above definition, I think the word "corny" is probably the best synonym for "cheesy." So, starting from that English definition as a starting point, it may be easier for you to proceed with finding a suitable Chinese translation with this more common English word.

Not being too advanced in my Chinese studies, I'm not sure whether the Oxford E-C dictionary's translation for "corny" as 多愁善感的 (sentimental?)or 老一套的 (same old stuff? -- this doesn't sound like a good translation) is correct, but maybe that'll start the ball rolling for further suggestions and refinements from more experienced forum members.

usually, I'd say "cheesy" is a weird mix of "corny" and "sentimental" at the same time. but that's the hard part.. it's had to convey the notion since something that seems cheesy to me might be perfectly normal to someone else.. highly subjective...

:help

多愁善感的 (sentimental?)or 老一套的

I think "cheesy" is quite negative but 多愁善感的 is not necessarily so (depending on the sentence). 老一套的 is again too general and too neutral for "cheesy". Actually, I think any word you may use in Chinese is going to more specific (= better) than "cheesy", why rack your brain for something that is so vague and cheesy? :wink:

I think it's a word that describes a concept that is very attached to a western, first-world way of seeing things. Similar to "campy," the way Three's Company is campy, and the old Batman show was campy. You have to wonder whether there's an exact Chinese cultural equivalent.

"Cheesy" "campy" are all fairly new words even in English. (Were they invented in the 80s?) These concepts don't really exist in Chinese culture yet.

Exclamations are also very hard to translate.

How would you translate these:

- Cowabunga!

- Holy cow!

For “camp”, I found this long discussion here, which suggests 装逼.

I think many Beijing youth do like using "装" for "cheesy" you meant. Like this dialogue:

A:这部电影太装了!那导演还真以为自己很懂生活?!

B:可是……我就挺喜欢这部电影的。我觉得导演拍得很好。

You are thinking of "pretentious", againstwind.

"俗“is pretty close, but I think it just means that something is "commonplace". I'm not sure it implies the sentimentality that "cheesy" does.

p.s. Isn't ”装逼“ somewhat of a dirty word? Can you say it in public?

Actually I don't really think 装 equals 俗. It depends on “装的是什么”. It possibly implies the sentimentality that "cheesy" does. Maybe not, for I hardly meet the word "cheesy".

Incidentally, "装逼" is a sort of dirty word indeed. Be cautious of using it.

Actually I don't really think 装 equals 俗. It depends on “装的是什么”.

I meant 装逼 = pretentious.

"俗“ is close in meaning to "cheesy" -- it means "commonplace" or "made for the mass consumption" -- but it does not have as strong of a disdain as calling something "cheesy" would imply.