Chinese-Forums

buying music in Taiwan

taobenli

Hello-

I will be going to Taipei for a week next week (I am in Seoul now) and would like to buy some music.

What are some good music stores, and how much can I expect to pay for a CD?

I definitely want to buy Faith Yang's newest CD, as well as some by Chen Qi Zhen. Maybe also Dou Wei? Also, is Zhang Zhen Yue mainland or Taiwanese?

I'd like to find some more Taiwanese indie bands. I like Mayday alright but would like to find some groups that are truly more indie.

Thanks for the help!

I'm quite sure 張震嶽 is Taiwanese, in any case I've seen his CDs for sale here. I think they'll have Chen Qizhen as well. Don't know Faith Yang but if she is currently famous & mainstream they'll carry her CDs too.

For Dou Wei I think the best idea is to try second hand cd shops.

I don't know any specific addresses... there's a Rose Records on Gongguan night market, near Gongguan MRT; another CD shop near Chengpin, I think it's on Xinhai Rd but am not sure if that's indeed the name of the street, near Taida. There are some shops on Ximending as well. But if you're looking out for a CD shop, and walk around on the night markets and shopping areas a bit, you'll probably run into a few.

Indie music: haven't been there for a long time but have seen shops with (and performances of, if you're interested in that) such music in the Wall 這牆, on the corner of Jilong and Roosevelt Road. As to groups, I like The Chairman 董事長, but am not sure if they still count as indie, they won a major music award earlier this year.

Good luck!