Chinese-Forums

Politically correct term for 农民

alexamies

I guess you could use "farmer" but that implies they all do some work ;)

"country-folk" maybe?

The phrase can be used as an insult by city dwellers anyway, so maybe "peasant" is still the best translation; just say it in a soft, smiling way if you're not trying to offend.

I don't think that 'farmer' quite works because not all rural residents work on farms. Some are too old or too young to work and some do different types of work. 'Rural resident' is the closest term I can think of but is so much more a formal term than 农民 in Chinese.

It is not really 农民 I am trying to avoid offending. The Chinese term is quite respectable, except for the tone that is sometimes used with. I am embarrassed to use it in English conversations and documents. When would you ever refer to an American or European farmer as a 'peasant'?

Alex

"country-folk" maybe?

Actually, back home we call country people or people from smaller cities/towns "hicks". Is this term also used in British slang?

alexamies - what context are you trying to use it in? Over here, I've heard 农民 used to refer to the migrant construction workers, even though 农民工 is the proper term. Also, there are many white-collar workers working in the big cities who also fit the definition of a migrant worker, however they are never refered to as 农民. If anything, they are called 外地人. So the usage of 农民 here definitely has class connotations and is consistent with its English translation of 'peasant'.

I always had the impression that being a peasant was a good thing, and the peasant class the highest class, in Maoist China, so that the term wouldn't really carry any negative connotations when applied to Chinese 農民. I've seen it used a lot in English articles and the like. As to the 農民 of other countries, you'd never call them peasants, there is usually a better term available (farmers, countryfolk, whatever).

it's hard to imagine using 'peasant' to describe american/european country folk. too many

negative connotations. when you say 'peasant,' you think of an uneducated, medieval serf

with no rights as to property ownership. (see the 'holy grail' for illustrations)

'farmer' on the other hand, brings to mind a slightly potbellied 50-yo man in coveralls and

a john deer gimme-cap with a tin of skoal in his back pocket, climbing into his $500,000

harvester, heading off to plow another 25,000 acres.

i think 农民 is perfectly respectable here if used a neutral sense for anyone living/working

in a rural village. in the cities it can be a disrespectful term, equivalent to hick, rube,

redneck, or dirt-farmer.

Depends on the context and who I'm translating for - I'm under instructions not to use it for one client - but I'll usually end up with either peasant, farmer or rural resident. Sometimes villager, maybe. Locals.

The word peasant does sound odd, but you'll see the likes of the BBC use it, and I'm quite happy to defer to them on matters of style. In some cases you are talking about people with little if any money, no land or an insecure hold on the land they have, no power to speak of, and who are at the mercy of those who have money, land and power. If there's a better word than peasant I don't know what it is.

I think that countryside people or countryside residents is the best suggestion that I have heard although it is not perfect. I have not been referring to migrant workers specifically but the suggestion prompts me to think that maybe there is scope to use a different term depending on context.. Several sentences like this from an article on Xin Hua's web site led me to ask this question:

农村税费改革取消了延续2600多年的农业税,农民人均减负约140元,农村改革正步入以促进农村上层建筑变革为核心的综合改革新阶段。

However, I hear the term 农民 many times daily in conversations, particularly because I am staying in the outskirts of Beijing at present, and watch them as I catch the bus into town. I am glad to hear that the BBC uses the term peasant - there couldn't be a much better reference for style and I am sure that they have battled with the use of the term too.

• 1 month later...

I think farmer should be the correct term in translations even though the dictionary refers to it as peasant.

The thing about a peasant though is that it was used under a feudal (I sure hope I am getting that right) where a peasant (also called a surf) was the caretaker and planter of the land which belonged to the Lord's. The land was solely taken care of by them for sustenance by the Lord's would take the majority of the crop as a "fee". So, the word peasant in English just doesn't work as it carries a certain connotation.

Maybe we should make this a poll and vote on it...

Context makes a difference: On a recent subtitling job, one woman in the film was talking about anti-rabies campaigns, and how the local farmers were handing their dogs over to the authorities because they were afraid of steep fines. She was using 农民, which I translated as "farmer" throughout.

Then another woman chimed in with the single word 农民, said very dismissively and drawn out. I figured that "peasant" captured her tone of voice fairly well.

Then another woman chimed in with the single word 农民, said very dismissively and drawn out. I figured that "peasant" captured her tone of voice fairly well.

I would agree with you on this that peasant would definitely have the feel of "those peasants" (the last part being spit out). Definitely has the feel of an insult to it. Farmer can too but that would depend on the tone but since you are subtitling there is no tone. Quite clever.