Chinese-Forums

Guzheng - where in Beijing?

Niennah

I'm starting my year at BNU in a weeks time and I'm a bit curious about extracurricular activities and such. I used to play the guzheng when I went to LPCUWC in Hong Kong and would love to buy one in Beijing, anyone know any good music stores in Beijing? I would need a decent instrument, a case and other equipment for it. Also I wonder how extracurricular activities are organized in Beijing schools, are they open for all? Are there any musical options, such as instrument classes? I've absolutely no idea, as I've never visited the city. Hope you guys could help me out :wink:

i live in beijing, here are some store music tools stroes which sells GuZheng, but very expensive.

as for the music schools, you can freely go to most music schools for class, but not as a formal registered student.

u can contact me, i can help here in beijing

I bought one once close to 琉璃厂 in one of the many small shops there. If you played before you should be able to get a good quality-price ratio, but make sure to play it before you buy and bargain. You can buy many cheap teaching materials for guzheng (like VCDs) and find good teachers for 1-1 instruction, especially near 中国音乐学院.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll go have a look once I've oriented myself around the city a bit. I play a little and I'd say I'm pretty decent at bargaining so a smaller music store sounds like a good idea. :D I hear that tutors in Beijing are quite easy to come by, whether its for language or music or sports, so thats great too.

Ah, settled in Beijing, sort of.. been checking out stores, but haven't found what I want yet. Ahh well. I'm sorry I don't know where you'll find that tune, perhaps you could find a Hero soundtrack somewhere cheap? I'd try the net and look for a hero fansite or something, they often have audio or media files on those :wink: good luck!