用雙手倒立 yong4shuang1shou3dao4li4

雙手按地翻筋斗 shuang1shou3an4di4fan1jin1dou3

空中筋斗 kong1shou3jin1dou3

指上壓 zhi3shang4 ?

拳上壓 quan2 shang4 ?

指上壓 zhi3shang4 ?

拳上壓 quan2 shang4 ?

壓 is ya1

As for the English translations, those may be tough.

馬步 - horse step?

紥馬 - tie [the] horse

沖拳 - colliding/dashing/rushing (as in rush of water) fist?

踼腿 - kick

挺腰 - tightening of the waist/core

用頭倒立 - a handstand with your head? (wow)

用雙手倒立 - a handstand with your hands (still pretty cool)

雙手按地翻筋斗 - [using the hands to do a] somersault?

空中筋斗 - airbourne somersault (presumable without hands)

指上壓 - finger press/push / pressure from fingers

拳上壓 - fist press/push / pressure from fist

These sound cool :D

My Mandarin isn't that good... neither is my Cantonese.... :(:help: I do know some of the martial art terms.

馬步 - horse step?- translated to english kung fu terms- ma bo, horse stance. Ma (horse) almost always means "stance".

In Shaolin a horse stance is back straight, feet parallel, farther than shoulder width apart and your legs bent in a 90 degree angle.

沖拳 - colliding/dashing/rushing (as in rush of water) fist? - splashing hands

指上壓 - finger press/push / pressure from fingers - Darting fingers, finger attack, index finger sticking out farther than other fingers.

拳上壓 - fist press/push / pressure from fist push hands, fist strike.

xiaojiang216- I'm in no way attemping to correct your Chinese, only (trying to) translate from everyday Chinese to martial arts terms.

• 2 weeks later...
there is a rather comprehensive wushu dictionary (Chinese-English) on the wushucentre.ca site:

http://www.thewushucentre.ca/dictionaryMay06.pdf

Thanks volga! That's really a great list. Some vocab in the list seem to be different from what i learnt in shaolin. Perhaps different streams of kungfu use different vocab?

you are welcome! I find this website a great source too.

as for differences, it seems natural to me that, with so many kung fu styles (incl family styles) and dialects of the Chinese language, in different parts of China similar movements/stances can be called different things. if you read the translator's background (she is Canadian with extensive China experience) you'll see where her vocab is coming from.

ma bo, horse stance. Ma (horse) almost always means "stance".

You are correct that ma means horse, but I've never come across it to mean "stance". In 馬步, it is the "bu" that means stance, see also 弓步 gong bu, 虚步 xu bu, 丁步 dingbu etc. AFAIK 紥馬 would be a contraction of 紥馬步 (to stand in a horse stance), as 紥 is one of several verbs you can use when talking about standing in a horse stance.

Then it must be an American martial arts mis-translation or a Cantonese thing. Ma bu or ma bo are used as horse stance. Here are a couple of examples:

"Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma" - “Character Two Goat Gripping (Basic) Stance”

"Saam Gok Ma" - “Triangular Advancing/Retreating Stance”

and a link http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:tLkFKxQzmvkJ:www.fighting-talk.org.uk/uploads/Wing-Chun_terms(Dave%2520Peterson).doc+yi+ji+kim+yeung+ma+in+characters&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

Google China possibly disables cache function.
Like I said, it wasn't working even with a proxy, but the file you provided opens fine, although unfortunately it doesn't contain characters.

A quick search on a few Wing Chun sites however reveals that it is the same 馬, so I guess it's probably a style-by-style difference, or maybe a north/south difference.