Chinese-Forums

a Taiwanese letter

alekk

Hi! Alex?? (literally ai li ke si)

Time has gone by really fast, (I) still remember the first day's [lit. sight or scenery] when I greeted you at the airport and now at the same place sending you off from taiwan. Were your two months of travel good? I hope you liked it here. This period of time I did not think of you as a foreigner but as a friend as we went (lists all the places you went and things you did) together. I also hope that you will like (confirmation on this part please... looks like 会喜欢 to me) and remember me your friend!

If you have a chance come to Taiwan again and I (will) go to France to see you, I want to ski (snow ski)!

Here is a rough translation.... I didn't bother translating the place names, I figure you should know them. And there is some sport that I couldn't figure out.. It's a start anyway!

=====

Hi, Dearest Alex!

Time really flies! I still remember the first time I came to the airport to pick you but, but now it's time to send you back home again. Where the past 2 months of traveling enjoyable? I hope you like this place! During our time together I took you as a good friend, not just a "foreigner". We went to so many places, Fu Sheng, Kunting, Ba Xian Amusement Park, KTV, some sport?,night clubs, motorcylcing, etc,etc. I also hope you will like and always remember me!

Hope you can come back to Taiwan! I really want to go to France and see you, I wanna ski!

Ken

I've been told some simplified chinese characters actually existed first as written shorthand, because a lot of common characters (like 机)are very complicated in traditional. I would think, though that in letter writing one would be formal and use the complicated version, but I guess not.

in taiwan, they write with traditional chinese, why did this guy write 机, instead of 機?

Out of laziness. Too many strokes to write 機. There are a few simplified words used instead of traditional Chinese characters, like 國(国), 會(会), 靈(灵), 豐(丰), 體(体), etc.

Hope it helps!:)

He also seems to write 'R且' for 而且. I might be seeing that wrong, would be a really interesting abbreviation, never seen that before!

Iit never comes to me that I can use R for 而. It sounds neat and concise!:mrgreen:

However, it's not R he writes. It's the right part of 歡. :)

Don't know what your standards are, but I don't consider that bad handwriting at all. We're only misreading it because we're a bunch of foreigners not used to Chinese handwriting.

But it was nice picking it apart all the same :-)

I would imagine that that is not his actual handwriting though. This looks as if he slowed down because the addressee was a foreign friend (for once this word makes sense).

I agree. I think he purposely made it easy to read - it looks like it was written by a child.