Chinese-Forums

就看你了!

haton

Consider "that depends on you". "Your turn" is also ok if it is something like a relay / competition and the guy is the last one of the team and you say it to him meaning that it is his turn and the results depend on him.

It's up to you, it depends on you both kind of carry the connotation. Unfortunately this isn't one of those phrases that has an exact equivalent in English but it is used frequent enough. Play around with it and you'll get the hang of it.

I agree with skylee's interpretation.

"就看你了!" is often used in the context where something is being done and '你' is the next/last person to complete the task/challenge. Etc: "It's now up to you."

Is that phrase taken from a text? Things would be clearer for us to if you included the preceding and succeeding sentences for us to read.

That doesn't really work because there are other situations that you can use 看你了 in. Like if a couple of friends are discussing what to do and basically only one of them has a preference or the other two just don't care I could say to my friend 看你了 so... It more has it's up to you type of connotation..

I couldn't explain the situation well enough but it carries the connotation of we are unable to do it and so you have to and not just a oh where should we eat we all don't care type of feel. My friends and I use it often enough (not in every situation) so I know that it is not wrong in this situation.

I guess one way to true and explain it is when we are ordering dishes (sorry it has to be about food because I'm hungry) and someone asks what about this the response there is 随便你.

Hope that makes sense because the 看你了 situation is very hard to explain for some reason.