Chinese-Forums

摇滚:rock or rock-and-roll?

Luoman

As for you guys talking about rock in china, theres plenty plenty plenty of great rock in china right now. And I would say that where it may lack in quantity compared to japan, in by and large definitely surpasses in quality. I have been to a decent number of shows in beijing, all of which have had at least two or more great bands. The Modern Sky record label has lots of great stuff. Most of china's rock that I listen to is more indie. As for punk and metal, I'm not sure how the scene is. But there is definitely a good amount of artsy indie stuff thats just fantastic. Two of my favorites are 周先生 and 木马。

• 5 weeks later...
The Chinese are used to listening to sugary pop music, which are similar to pre-1960 rock era ballads in the West. It's too much of a leap to go from pop ballads to punk or death metal.

So, does that mean that wild 60s are coming to China? With sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll?