Chinese-Forums

Foreigner singing own Chinese rock songs!

thewildmonk

Well, while I'm not really into the sound of your music (doesn't sound "good" to me, but a white guy singing in chinese IS no doubt tv worthy), I am not particularly condoning of outsiders trying to push their morals, views, believed "correct" way of living, onto other cultures (all of your song lyrics).

Hmm... just to let you know: the website is painfully slow from here (England). It took about 2 minutes just to load the pictures on the front page, not to talk about the actual songs.

This kind of makes me feel that I might actually have a good shot at realising my dream of becoming a TV celebrity in China one day. Inspiring. :wink:

i don't like some of your lyrics, but some of your music 还可以。your instrumentation gets very boring at times(it's too much midi) and your melodies sound like japanese melodies. unfortunately chinese rock music is very poor. the chinese way of life and culture are not compatible with rock music. however it's the first time i hear something that sounds like rock in chinese.

Your definition of fluent must be different than mine... many tone mistakes and pronunciation errors. But you speak Chinese better than most white people I guess, I just wouldn't go as far as saying you are fluent.

Yonglin, you definitely have a chance, especially in China/Taiwan. Being white and speaking Chinese is often enough to be on tv.

Rezaf, just because you haven't heard it yet doesn't mean there is no good Chinese rock around. Find it, listen to it, then judge.

Yonglin, you definitely have a chance, especially in China/Taiwan. Being white and speaking Chinese is often enough to be on tv.

Yeh, that was exactly what I figured. :wink:

We can obviously not know the reasons for the op being broadcast on TV, but we can at least say that it is not impossible that the artistic quality of the performance was not the determining factor. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
lu just give me some names. i have been searching for good chinese rock music for a long time. maybe in taiwan you have something but here in china

www.rockinchina.com will tell you all you need to know. They have podcasts and mp3 samples too. For the rest, look at mp3.baidu.com

What sort of rock music do you like anyway? Alternative, jazzy, thrash metal, punk?

Regardless of style, I really like Happy Avenue, ReTROS, SMZB and Glorious Pharmacy. Cui Jian is awesome, but somewhat dated. Second Hand Rose Band mixes traditional singing with rock music, I like it but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

All of those are really good.

i like jazz fusion, nu metal, alternative, progressive rock and some of the more artistic heavy metal bands.i think good rock music tends to bring up politics from time to time and that's one of the reasons that it is rare in china.

You may like Glorious Pharmacy (quite jazzy, very quirky), Mu Ma (alternative/hardcore) and Yaksa (nu metal. sometimes reminiscent of RAtM). Some Hollow is also interesting.

Check the www.rockinchina.com site, they list hundreds of bands with biographies and links to their sites. Pick the ones that sound interesting to you, find their Chinese names and try finding samples on baidu.

Also, check out this thread