Chinese-Forums

WHO standardisation of TCM terminologies

skylee

I read on a newspaper that the WHO has recently announced the international standard terminologies for traditional Chinese medicine. The writer of the column I read highlights that the traditional script is used in the standard to avoid confusion, and I find it interesting and, to some extent, encouraging.

Here is the WHO document.

English is chosen as the main language for the international standard terminology for TRM in the Western Pacific Region, because it is the most commonly and internationally used language. Following each term in English, Han characters are attached as the given original terms. In doing so, the original complex form of a Han character is employed rather than the simplified characters, because some countries may simplify Han characters differently.

Interesting. I've started some TCM accu-puncture/pressure therapy for backpain, and among the treatment is 火罐 (I remember someone translated it as "cupping"), which is said to remove 寒氣, but I don't see either term listed. What is 寒氣 anyway? Is it just superstition? :wink:

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/32788084.html

请问拨火罐时,颜色深浅能说能什么吗?

Interesting. I've started some TCM accu-puncture/pressure therapy for backpain, and among the treatment is 火罐 (I remember someone translated it as "cupping"), which is said to remove 寒氣, but I don't see either term listed. What is 寒氣 anyway? Is it just superstition?:wink:

Hehe.According to your description, it seems that the doctor used cupping to improve the blood circulation on your back to ease the sore in your back muscles.寒气 here might mean the symptom caused by bad circulation.

Cheers!

The writer of the column I read highlights that the traditional script is used in the standard to avoid confusion, and I find it interesting and, to some extent, encouraging.

That is interesting!

The WHO list was put together by folks from Korea, Japan and China, so I guess the traditional script is the common denominator, so to speak.

What I've heard is that the committee was basically given a choice between choosing english terms from Xie Zhu-fan's (谢竹藩) term set and Nigel Wiseman/Feng Ye's term set. The result ended up being about half and half. The result is pretty good (ie there is not much use of biomedical equivalents), but the list is simply too short... I'm using it and found more then half the technical terms in the document I was translating were not in the WHO list.

Gato, the standard ways of saying 寒气 are 寒邪 or 外寒. The theory is that if your 正气 is weak you are susceptible to invasion by external cold, which can take up residence in your body if not treated in time. That is just theory.. you can take it or leave it.. but the symptoms you were experiencing are considered to be a sign of "cold evil" in your body, and the cupping reduces those symptoms.

Regards,

Henry