Chinese-Forums

List for most frequently used characters?

zozzen

There is some difference between them. Often it's phonetic characters and such, which are common for transcribing foreign names, but not used in many "important" words.

You can have a look at http://hmarty.free.fr/hanzi/ , they have the top 3000 sorted by frequency.

However, keep in mind that the "2000 for literacy" refers to native speakers who already know all the character combinations (words) and grammar. As a foreign speaker, learning 2000 characters will mean very little in terms of being able to "read". However, learning all the characters from the HSK set and/or the most frequent 2000 (there is significant overlap) is a good strategy.

I don't think they've ever put it online, but it's in various HSK大纲's published by BLCU. It can be useful for the sake of breaking vocab down a bit, but I wouldn't take it as gospel. There's a similar breakdown of grammar, but I think I have the only copy in existence.