Chinese-Forums

the word for ''date'' - ri qi - question about tone

Rrina

All the dictionaries I've checked have ''ri4 qi1'' as the translation for date. But one of my textbooks has it as ''ri4 qi2''. I'm wondering if this might be a typo or if this word changes tone under certain circumstances... Any help on this will be appreciated. I'm transcribing my lesson on the calendar and this particular word is holding me back. :-?

All the dictionaries I've checked have ''ri4 qi1'' as the translation for date. But one of my textbooks has it as ''ri4 qi2''. I'm wondering if this might be a typo or if this word changes tone under certain circumstances...

I don’t think it is a typo, but I think the editor might have been affected by his local accent. I hear both “ri4qi1” and “ri4 qi2” in my daily life, and both make sense to me. I think “ri4qi1” is more standard according to Xinhua Dictionary. However, a language in daily life must be different to that printed on dictionary.In addition, most Chinese people speak Chinese more or less with their local accent, so that is why “ri4qi1” and “ri4qi2” both exists.

Cheers!