Chinese-Forums

use of 相 处

Gotti

yesterday in another post linked to a different topic i saw the term 相 处 ..and i was wondering how it can be used,i know it means "To get along with"..but what are the most common sentences in which you are likely to use the very expression? Does it imply love?Or can i use it to say something like" i get along very well with my new friends"?

I've seen also 处 standing alone in a sentence once( it was like "wo1 he2 ta1 chu3 de hen3 hao3 but i ain't sure at all)

Thanks again..you guys are incredible

相處 means to 'get along with'. You can use 處 alone to mean 相處 in sentences like:

我們處得不好 / 我們處不來: We don't get along well.

我們處得很好: We get along (with each other) well

我們處得來: We can get along.

相愛容易相處難: It's easy to fall in love with someone but it's not easy to get along well with each other.

Hope it helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Gotti, let me tell you how to use "相处":

Generally, "相处" means "get along with", You can say "我和他处的很好" which means "I get along well with him."

And yes, it implies "love". when you emphasize "他俩在相处" or "他俩在处朋友" in a context that mentioned about the "love" things.

Because maybe ten years ago, Chinese people even felt shy for talking about "fall in love"-"谈恋爱". So they used "(相)处朋友" for short: "(相处)男女朋友".

Image this scenario: If you are a girl, You can tell your Chinese friend : "A 和 B 在 处朋友 哦!" with a secret smile(sh). Of course, A and B must be both of your friends. Here "处朋友" implies about love.

"他俩在处朋友"
Because maybe ten years ago, Chinese people even felt shy for talking about "fall in love"-"谈恋爱". So they used "(相)处朋友" for short: "(相处)男女朋友".
"A 和 B 在 处朋友 哦!"

I have not heard "處朋友" or "相處朋友" before. It sounds weird IMHO. Did you mean "交朋友" and / or "交往"?

I would normally have just started arguing from the same point as Skylee as I agree that I have never heard it and it does sound REALLY funny but I decided to do a search and so I was convinced that it is used. However, I then thought is it standard???? And so I grabbed my dictionary (you know the big fatty one) and even though my input method has it I can't find that usage in the dictionary....

处朋友 is most likely a local slang and definitely not the standard usage. Actually, I wouldn't use the word "处" very much by itself without some other adjective with it because it means "virgin" in Chinese. At first, I thought 处朋友 means your "virgin friend"!!! :mrgreen:

For example: If someone ask you whether you are a "处"? It means he/she is asking whether you are a virgin?

Hi guys, I am very glad to see lots response about "处朋友" which I mentioned here first.

Here, "处" is a verb, short for "相处". However, it is used in North part of China, such as in Beijing, Dongbei. If you type "处朋友" http://www.baidu.comthe serach engine which is more widely used than google by young Chinese, you'll find it is a common usage.

Here is another link, http://ks.cn.yahoo.com/question/1407032101044.htmlsomebody asked about "处朋友 问题" (how to get along with his girlfriend). Here, "处朋友" has a deeper meaning: "to get along with (girl)friend".(sh)

BTW, I strongly suggest use www.baidu.com to serach Chinese related problem, you'll get more information than google. "外事问google,内事问百度(www.baidu.com)" ^_^. I major in Computer Science, when I search some content, this principle is "百试不爽"!

Tips: When you wanna make sure whether some Chinese useage is "Natural", just paste is in ''baidu" or "google". If you find lots of same usage,....Bingo! I think it's a easy way to help you make sure grammar doubt.::wink:

I thought you had to ask are you a 女处 or 男处 not just say 处???

I Think it should be 处女 or 处男 but not the other way around.

处 by itself can mean virginity or chastity. So when it is obvious you can use it alone without specifying the gender.

• 1 month later...

yes' date=' it implies "love". when you emphasize "他俩在相处" or "他俩在处朋友" in a context that mentioned about the "love" things.

[/quote']

"在相处" and "在处朋友" sound awfully like slang to my ears, lzhang. You say this kind of saying was prevalent among youths about ten years ago? Was it mainly confined to college campuses or on radio/TV programs? Did you ever see these expressions in print?