Chinese-Forums

Problm with multiple 开始

chavalit

HI,

I'm having trouble with 开始 in the following paragraph. I thought only one is necessary. Why two? What's the reason for the first 开始? What's the reason for the second 开始?

Detailed explanation would be much appreciated. My knowledge of grammar is quite limited.

Thanks,

-Chavalit

---------------------------

美国一位主要贸易官员、商务部长古铁雷斯表示,在美中星期二开始艰难的贸易会谈开始之际,中国强烈反对华盛顿最近在知识产权问题上采取的行动。

Translation (from Voice of America chinese version):

The top U.S. trade official,Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierre says China strongly objected to Washington's recent actions on intellectual property rights at the start of difficult trade talks Tuesday.

The first 开始 is after a time 星期二(Tuesday)indicate when the whole talks begins. The whole talk may last for several days, but it starts from Tuesday.' 星期二开始 ' this phrase works as a adjective phrase. eg. 星期二开始的活动 (activity which started from Tuesday). The second '开始' is after 会谈(talks) means at the beginning of the talks. eg: '活动开始时' = at the beginning of the activity.

So if I connect the two expamles , I can make a same structure sentence as the one in the news :

星期二开始的活动开始时, ------

means at the beginning of the activity which started from Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...