Chinese-Forums

To Improve vocab are there any books similar to "Word Power Made Easy"

krishnamurthyu

Hi ,

I need help to build my Chinese vocabulary. going through a random list or by dictionary is too daunting and cumbersome.but for time doing these two now.

similar to "Word Power Made Easy: By Norman Lewis " are there any equivalent vocabulary building Chinese books. since most mandarin are bisyllabic if I know books to refer to improve vocabulary,thne it will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familar with the book you mention, but there is:

380 Most Commonly Used Chinese Verbs

http://www.chinabooks.com/cart/product.php?productid=18464&cat=11&page=1

They also seem to have books with lots of Chinese business terms:

http://www.chinabooks.com/cart/home.php?cat=142

(no affiliation, etc.)

---

I'd suggest reading material you're interested in and learning the vocabulary that comes up.

you can try some of the HSK books for preparing for the Basic/Intermediate test (advanced as well, but I think it's better to make sure you know the intermediate ones first because they show up much more frequently. ) I definitely wouldn't just learn random words or memorize every word you look up because some of them are very infrequent. If you are in China you can get the HSK books at big bookstores in big cities. If you are outside (or inside) China you can order them from elina who often posts on this forum. You can also get some hsk books from amazon.com. There are other threads on this forum abt hsk books for recommendations but probably any vocab book or even just the HSK word list (can be found online) from the Basic/Intermediate test should do.

I think a good idea would be reading articles from sth such as 读者 (harder with longer articles) or 意林 (easier with shorter essays). They come out biweekly and can be picked up at newsstands for 3 yuan if you're in China. Don't look up every single word (i made this mistake at the beginning and learned a lot of obscure words that I ended up forgetting because I didn't encounter them again for a long time.) Rather, look up words that you are encountering 1 or more times in each article -these are obviously definitely worth learning. If your vocab isn't to the level yet where you can at least plod through these kinds of articles then forget this suggestion and refer back to above - learning at least the HSK vocab for the Basic/Intermediate test should give you enough to start reading and eventually learn more advanced vocab.