Chinese-Forums

"Take a break from something" in Mandarin

Entropy_Rising

Hi out there,

I was trying to figure out how to say "take a break from (activity)" in Mandarin but I'm having a hard time looking it up in my usual sources because, for one, a lot of the dictionaries I'm using aren't good with taking actual phrases such as "take a break," for two, the single word "break" itself has a several meanings, and three, even in places where I did find "take a break" it was translated into 休息一会儿 and didn't include the idea of taking a break from a particularly activity, which is what I'm interested in finding out.

Even when seeing if I could cobble the concept to together from words I already know I couldn't come up with anything serviceable - obviously the idea of 休息 is in there, but 休息 I think is intransitive. There's also of course 停止, which can take an object, but on the flip side 停止 doesn't express the idea of resting which I'm looking for.

Basically I've been talking with several friends and acquaintances out here about my going back home for Spring Festival and I often find myself wanting say "I look forward to taking a break from speaking Chinese."

Thank you in advance. :)

Perhaps you could consider 暫停.

I actually think 休息一會兒 does include the idea of taking a break from a particularly activity, like a career, etc. I wonder how you interpret 休息. While the actual action of lying in bed / sleeping is 休息, to me a rest day like sunday (the day itself) is a 休息. Also the shop assistant puts up a 休息 sign at the door at the end of the day. I think when we stop doing something for a while and then resume the activity, then the stop is usually a 休息.