Chinese-Forums

小題大作的發布會

Quest

Why is a 無心之失 such a big deal in China?

Hmm…Yes, as you mentioned, some people in this event did make a fuss on an actress’ careless mistake. Unfortunately, such a careless mistake was made by a celebrity, that’s why the whole thing turned into that way. The story reminds me of another story. A famous fast food chain wanted to open a new branch in Middle East, but it still sold pork hamburgers there, just because of lack of enough searching on the local culture. (In fact, it is nothing but a careless mistake, too.) As you might image, the branch closed very quickly in local people’s anger. Can you tell me whether these Middle East people are食古不化?

In fact, I think the whole event is mainly about nationalist feelings(民族主义情绪) which is as some kind of the local culture. If an actress / actor really wants to earn local people’s heart and set up her/ his own market in that place, it is quite necessary for them to learn local culture & history, and how to avoid provoking local people’s nationalist feelings, IMHO. (Just point out that I don’t think the girl should take so many troubles to apologize for her careless mistake, but at least she should take a lesson from it)

As today the world gets globalizing, the more meaningful thing is to help people how to understand each other’s history and how to think of each other’s nationalist feelings. Ah, that’s why Ieoh Ming Pei(贝聿铭)is so popular around the world and his design is so successful.

這些食古不化的人什麼時候才能退下來?
淡极始知花更艳,愁多焉得玉无痕。

Cheers!

(Just point out that I don’t think the girl should take so many troubles to apologize for her careless mistake, but at least she should take a lesson from it)

studentyoung, she made the comment 4 years ago on a Taiwanese show, for the local audience. She did not mean to deny or belittle anything. If I was her, the only lesson I would have learned was that the mainlanders are so 野蛮. Give her a break, she was only 17 then and probably not very interested in history. The show was unrehearsed, and she made a split second comment, how could that have hurt any sane mind's feelings?

I am not sure if she was the one that initiated the 发布会, it doesn't seem like it. But, at least find a better incident than a careless moment from 4 years ago...

Give her a break, she was only 17 then and probably not very interested in history. The show was unrehearsed, and she made a split second comment, how could that have hurt any sane mind's feelings?

If she really wants to set up her own market in mainland, she should understand how the local people think and feel at first, though I don’t know whether you agree with it or not.

If I was her, the only lesson I would have learned was that the mainlanders are so 野蛮.

一个巴掌打不响。反正我知道了,你要是她,你是不会反思自己的行为对别人造成的影响,就会埋怨别人野蛮。

Cheers!

If I was her, the only lesson I would have learned was that the mainlanders are so 野蛮.

Yes, some of us mainlanders might be 野蛮, but please be specific next time and do not generalise your conclusion to everyone of us. I will take it as a 無心之失 this time but as it says in the terms and conditions of this forum, "You are responsible for your own posts."

She didn't have to do it if she didn't care about the mainland market any more. Obviously she can't afford to lose the big cake and that was the only way to get it back, after 4 years of keeping silence.

Yes, some of us mainlanders might be 野蛮, but please be specific next time and do not generalise your conclusion to everyone of us. I will take it as a 無心之失 this time but as it says in the terms and conditions of this forum, "You are responsible for your own posts."

xiaocai, that was a hypothetical statement, a conjecture on what could be going through the girl's mind, given the circumstances. I did not generalize anything about mainlanders.

She didn't have to do it if she didn't care about the mainland market any more. Obviously she can't afford to lose the big cake and that was the only way to get it back, after 4 years of keeping silence.
If she really wants to set up her own market in mainland, she should understand how the local people think and feel at first, though I don’t know whether you agree with it or not.

The question isn't did she have to or why did she do it; it's that why such a frivolous moment is worth such scrutiny in the first place.

反正我知道了,你要是她,你是不会反思自己的行为对别人造成的影响,就会埋怨别人野蛮。

如果我一句无心和无知的话令谁呕了血或毙命当场,对不起,应该反思的不是我。

Quote:

反正我知道了,你要是她,你是不会反思自己的行为对别人造成的影响,就会埋怨别人野蛮。

如果我一句无心无知的话令谁呕了血或毙命当场,对不起,应该反思的不是我

If you really understand the whole effect was caused by your “carelessness” and “ignorance”, the only way for you to improve is to make yourself “careful” and “knowledgeable”. But it seems that you still prefer to be “careless” and “ignorant”.

If your girl friend / wife got very angry for your careless words and your ignorant attitude, please tell me who should reconsider it? Do you want to tell me, "Sorry, it is her that should reconsider it."?

Cheers!