Chinese-Forums

how to say "forum" in Chinese

82riceballs

After being on this forum for so long, I find it stupid that I've never thought to ask how "Forum" is translated into Chinese. :mrgreen:

I've looked it up, but I think the translations always seem to be bent towards an actual meeting where people host discussions: 討論會, 公開討論的場所, etc

What do Chinese people in real life say? 論壇? or just BBS?

Also, how would "CHinese forums" be translated?

If you want to say the Japanese 掲示板 (keijiban) in Chinese, you have to change the first character and get 揭示板 (jiēshìbǎn - bulletin board). In Japanese, it's normally フォーラム (fo:ramu), borrowed from English.

掲 (Japanese simplified) = 揭 (Chinese)

I did not insist on 揭示板, only stating that this word exists in Chinese and there is an entry in the ABC dictionary. 论坛 is, of course the most common word.

Would Chinese-forums be translated as 中國論壇?

中国论坛 (simpl. version) is correct and is already taken :) :

http://www.zhongguobbs.com/

From my association with tons of 灌水坛, I'm pretty sure this is a forum specifically for people to post up content that isn't necessarily meaningless but doesn't concern the majority of the forum-goers. Posting can include copied and pasted articles and images, rants, nonsense and stuff. 灌水's English equivalent in a sense is spam.