Chinese-Forums

~Emotions~

tooironic

Hey guys.

Recently I realised that for all my years of study my 'emotions' vocabulary is scarily limited.

So I'm trying to put together an 'emotions word list' if you will.

Here's the ones I need Chinese equivalents for, if you would be so kind to help:

anxious / nervous

insecure

guilty / ashamed

lonely

distant

worthless

useless

left out

humiliated

shy

safe

proud

ecstatic

I would use dictionaries to look them up, but you know how emotions are usually such subjective and culture-oriented things, I didn't want to translate these unless I knew for sure it was 100% correct (I wouldn't want to express the way I felt to a Chinese person only to find out I wasn't using the right emotion!)

You'll get, going on past responses, better results if you offer your best guess equivalents with the help of a dictionary and then ask for help spotting the ones that can be improved upon. Of course, you might get lucky :wink:

And you have to remember that there are so many different degrees of some emotions that it's going to be hard to get your so called "correct" ones...

Example: guilty/ashamed

感到耻辱,内疚,觉得不好意思

and that's just a few..there's more...

But here is some more

anxious nervous:

担心,提心吊胆,忧虑,紧张

And to finish off with some straight forward ones...

shy-害羞

ecstatic- 激动

lonely- 孤独

Sorry, I'm working on other things so I will let others fill in the blanks...

I would use dictionaries to look them up, but you know how emotions are usually such subjective and culture-oriented things, I didn't want to translate these unless I knew for sure it was 100% correct

There are a ton of sample essay and reference books for chu-zhong students and above to help them with their writing and have pages and pages on how to say these emotions, describe animals, movements and contain sample sentence...etc, you name it. Much more useful than a dictionary...

I don't know any exact websites, but maybe you can find something here: www.zuowen.com and here

otherwise you could easily spend an hr or 2 in a book store in the childrens test prep section flipping thru and comparing books containing all the adjective you will ever need and more...if you are in China that is:mrgreen: