Chinese-Forums

Bioenergy - what the correct term?

Scoobyqueen

I am trying to find out what the correct translation for bioenergy is.

Basically the term encompasses all renewable energy excluding sun, hydro and wind.

It includes crop, biogas and wood.

I am sure there is one standard term for it but the dictionary definition is not the one I am looking for. China is the number one producer of bioenergy by the way. That could have been a good PR story in the run up to the olympics or did the story already run?No intended reference to Haile.

Skylee - Cheers

I found just one term in the dictionary and did not go any further, primarily because most things are quite scientific.

The term was: 生物能

My intern, who has now left, told me that this was not the right term. She came up with another but of course I have now mislaid it.

Well the term 生物質能 is in a paper of state government level. If it refers to the type of energy that you mentioned, then it should be the right term.

Your intern. How nice. I make my junior staff help me do all kinds of research/checking and I wish I had more (staff, not research).

Here's my two cents:

You want "renewable energy (excluding sun, hydro, water) including crop, biogas, wood"

I think the perfect term is

可再生生物质能

this would be a vague term referring to this kind of energy in general. To refer to the sources in particular, you could use

可再生生物质能源

This is from an article on the environmental website ChinaDialogue:

http://www.chinadialogue.net/homepage/show/single/ch/1763-Burning-bright-in-Beijing

"可再生生物质能源(如秸杆、锯末、树叶和生活垃圾等)"

You may also need to watch how it's being defined. I've had a case before where someone was including the cutting down of old-growth forests for fuel as 'bioenergy'. Now technically it is bioenergy, but unless you are replanting then it isn't being renewed (and even if you are it's potentially dubious) and not really worth of the green credentials that 'bioenergy' might imply.