Chinese-Forums

Context

LaoLiang

I'd like to be able to use "context" in Mandarin, such as: taken out of context, you took it out of context, it depends on the context etc.

You’re talking about 上下文, I guess.

It depends on the contexts: 这得根据上下文的意思去(判断一个句子的含义)

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

"It depends on the contexts: 这得根据上下文的意思去"

Is this colloquial as well?

Second question: tease. As in spoken English and the context is missleading happened resulting in disappointment. The missleading was not really evil minded.

Is this colloquial as well?

I would not term it colloquial. It is more metaphorical. Language will often take a word with a concrete meaning ("together with the text") and expand it to have a wider meaning ("together with the situation")
tease. As in spoken English and the context is missleading happened resulting in disappointment. The missleading was not really evil minded.

If you are offering a definition of tease, it is a pretty good definition. However, your English needs correcting: misleading

As in spoken English where the context is misleading, resulting in disappointment. There was no evil intent in the misleading.

I might also suggest that the word "evil" is a bit strong in this context. :wink:

Sam,

1. CONTEXT: well, if we were discussing something in person and I were to ask you a question about the specific meaning of a word, you would then reply with "well, it depends on the context..." how would you say "context" here?

2. I'm asking how to say it in Chinese.

I have read this thread like 10 times and am still confused about what the OP is looking for. But in answer to the last question about if not in a language context then something as simple as 得看是什么情况下 would work.

"I have read this thread like 10 times and am still confused about what the OP is looking for. But in answer to the last question about if not in a language context then something as simple as 得看是什么情况下 would work."

I'm looking for a translation of the word and above replies have cam up with several options.

I'm looking for a translation of the word and above replies have cam up with several options

That's because there's not one single word that can be used in Chinese as a replacement for the English 'context'. Therefore, the correct translation depends on the context you want to use it in. :lol:

" I'm looking for a translation of the word and above replies have cam up with several options

That's because there's not one single word that can be used in Chinese as a replacement for the English 'context'. Therefore, the correct translation depends on the context you want to use it in. "

Exactly. I'm trying to figure out the context of the options - this is why I elaborate with the descriptions and questions...

You're asking a language question, how can it not be language-related?
I think LaoLiang is right in asking further questions as the original question developed.

"Context": there're basically 2 definitions of this word:

Linguistic context = co-text: 上下文 / 语境

Non-linguistic context = context of situation: I think any of these (情况, 背景, 来龙去脉) will do in the right context :wink: