Chinese-Forums

不算 - does this mean anything?

Scoobyqueen

I have just come back from a course in China and have in my notes what I believe to be:

不算

Meaning "not good". I am unable to find it in the dictionary and am wondering if I have noted it down incorrectly. Does the term exist?

Thanks in advance for any "light shedding".

Take a look at the Lin Yutang Dictionary -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%ba%e2&category=wholerecord

他的話說了不算 his words do not count;
算數(兒) [suan4shu4]2 ([er0]), v.i., to count; (words) to be taken seriously: 你說的話算數兒不算 do you mean what you say?

Also from the Lin Yutang Dictionary -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%bb%a1&category=wholerecord

說了不算 words do not count, just talk;

Hi Imron,

Thank you for that. Now I all of a sudden do remember having read it before in some book containing 400 ambiguous HSK expressions used like "dont count on what I say, but pay attention to what the manager says."

Thanks for indirectly jogging my memory.

Another branch of meaning of 不算:

他说了不算 —— He has no say.

我说了才算 —— It is I who have the say.

In English he just has no "say", but In Chinese, logically he can say anything but what he says will not be considered as a decision.