Chinese-Forums

Look down upon something

Scoobyqueen

So would sentences like 从直升机上俯瞰大地 or 在圣保罗大教堂俯瞰伦敦城 really be so terrible?

Does the "俯瞰" in the sentences above mean the same as "look down (up) on" (something or someone) / 小看 / 轻视 as mentioned in OP's #1?

No, and that's my point.

If someone just says "you should never use "俯瞰 or 俯" never!!", (with double exclamation marks no less!!) without offering an explanation of why the word is inappropriate, then it can give people a misconception about the word, especially when they don't mean "never use" they mean "never use to mean look down upon someone".

And even then, a learner of Chinese still doesn't know whether it's inappropriate because it has a bad meaning, or because it's an ugly word, or because it makes the speaker sound too arrogant, or because of some combination of any and all of the above factors, or for some other reason etc etc.

Fair enough, though please bear in mind that this (plus my posts above) are just my own personal opinion, and don't reflect forums policy or anything. :)

In Skylee's post, she first answered the OP's question, and then mentioned that "俯瞰 or 俯" would not be appropriate to use. From the context, it was also clear that she was talking about in this particular situation.

Yelei_1981's post on the other hand, didn't provide any information except an emphatic statement that 俯瞰 should never be used. Never!!

The tone of such a statement is far stronger than saying that the suggestion of 俯瞰 was quite shocking (followed by a :)), and personally, I think if you're going to make such a strong statement (especially when it's the only content of your post), then I think it's also helpful to provide a little bit of information about why it shouldn't be used (inquiring minds want to know, and all that...). Just telling someone to never (never!!) use a word without an explanation of why is IMHO not so useful, especially when there are appropriate uses for the word.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to get into an argument about the merit of various posts. I've made my fair share of useless posts here, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so in the future. I was just hoping to encourage people to try and a provide a little bit more useful information when posting.

I agree with Imron: I am none the wiser as to why I should not use the expression. I am, however, grateful for the very useful additions and explanations that have been contributed.

I originally asked the question because I had the noted down 俯瞰 meaning "look down" and I thought it meant "look down on someone". Upon checking it in the dictionary, I realised the examples meant overlooking something as in a house overlooking the lake. However, as sometimes such expressions can also be used creatively I suggested it here.

I now understand that I should not use 俯瞰 but will probably test it out anyway to see what reaction I get. It is probably like the word "belittle" in English. You would only ever use this about a person not present (or face-to-face only in the BB house:)