Chinese-Forums

Sino

Scoobyqueen

From my little window in my corner of the world, Sino- is gradually becoming more antiquated as time passes. In my view, its use anymore is almost strictly academic and/or formal, and I have seen it most frequently in the discussion of history and sometimes international relations as mentioned already. This term would be somewhat out of place in common speech and the trend for newspapers, TV news broadcasts, public figures, etc., to use common speech is increasing I feel.

约翰好

Sino is a safe choice amid the boom of nationalism.

Thanks to a widely circulated article about the word "Chinese" in the past few years, some Chinese begin to believe that "Chinese" is a derogatory word adopted by English colonialists to demote the image of China.

Actually this concern is extremely uncommon, but I've heard at least 3 times from my friends saying "hey do you know the word 'Chinese' is a word that insults us? "

If you have concerns, go for "Sino-" . And "Sino" is good choice there because this prefix is always at the front of other countries. That's what Chinese needs today.

Nobody worth worrying about is going to raise the -ese issue - for those of you who are wondering what the -ese issue even is, see here and here. Bump the more recent topic if you really want to discuss it.

I see no problem with using Sino- if you think it looks or sounds nicer. It's got a bit of a Latiny feel to it, but there's nothing wrong with that and if you are using English in a European context it may actually look more familiar than 'Chinese'. I used to have a bunch of sino-noun domain names, but I think i let them all expire, bar one I use for email.

I also just checked style guides from the BBC, The Economist and The Guardian - none of them had anything to say on the matter, so I reckon that means it's up to you.

Sino-American sounds more formal than Chinese-American, I think. Good for conferences and such.

If Chinese are insulted by being called Chinese, I invite them to change the name of their country and their people and let us all know then what on earth we should call them if not Chinese.

Well, he's been boycotting Sina for two years now, but it seems to still be going strong. The actual story of how Sina got named is in 曾子墨's autobiography, but I've forgotten it. Very forgettable book, anyhow. Did I mention I was wearing Armani jeans when I read it?

Glad the comments were of use in deciding.

That's about "Sina", not "Sino".
'Sino' is derived from 'Sina', so same difference. If said in either Japanese or Chinese it's derogatory, but in any other context it's derived from the Latin word for the country, and so it's rather pointless to object to it.

• 3 weeks later...