Chinese-Forums

他有病北京多呆了一天 incorrect?

freefall

From a Chinese blog:

8点下班接到精灵的邀请电话,回到住所,边梳妆打扮边约朋友一起同去,也不知道昨天晚上怎么了,宝贝和她老公在舅妈家战斗,莎莎有病家里打点滴,苏楠有约在身不能爽约,刘琼怎么都联系不上..........

Why is the sentence above in blue correct, but the following sentence incorrect?

* 他有病北京多呆了一天

A Chinese friend told me that it's incorrect, and should be

他有病在北京多呆了一天

Why does the blue sentence not need 在 when the green sentence does need 在? They are the exact same grammatical structure except that the location 家里 is changed to 北京 and the verb 打点滴 is changed to 多呆了一天.

Or maybe 他有病北京多呆了一天 is okay after all?

Thanks for the help, as always.

Well, when you just say 北京 you are only saying the location; there's not "at" present.

家里 is not just the location. 家 is a location, while 家里 is "at" location; in this case "at home." The 在 is not necessary if you have other location descriptors.

......莎莎有病家里打点滴,.......

* 他有病北京多呆了一天

Both are "wrong" gramatically, especially in language classes.

However, in daily life in casual SPEACH, such use is very common, where "在" before 家里 and 北京 are omitted and understood. But we don't write this way, the author was trying to meke his/her writing sound casual, just like chatting with his/her friends......

In that sense, it's looks ok.

Oh. Good to get some additional input. (Because my native speaker source told me (2) is not correct and would usually be reformulated with 把 or verb reduplication, i.e.

他昨天把电脑玩到3点钟。

他昨天玩电脑玩到3点钟。

(1) should be correct but (2) doesn't look right to me. I'd say "他昨天玩电脑玩到3点钟。", but not "他昨天把电脑玩到3点钟。" though (sounds a bit weird). From what i could think of now it should be quite safe to stick to verb replication for most instances.

In informal speech, I think you could say 他有病,北京多呆了一天, but you need some kind of pause there. (And when I read this sentence it seems to mean 'He's crazy to stay in Beijing for another day', but that might just be me.)

Playing computer games is 玩電腦, parallel to 看書, so you can say

他(玩)電腦玩了三個小時, just like you can say

他(看)書看了三個小時

You say 她把書送給我 She gave me the book, but you don't say *她把書看了, and similarly you can't say *他把電腦玩了.

畢業 as a verb means 'to graduate', but you can do this in different ways:

高中畢業 'to graduate from high school'

大學畢業 'to graduate from university', this does not mean 'to graduate while located at a university' (in which case you might need a 在).