Chinese-Forums

说将起来

A life of study

I asked my teacher what 说将起来 means, but he could only say that 将 is a 虚词, without really explaining why it is there. Can anyone give a more detailed explanation? The sentence is: 他就会一五一十地说将起来. Also: 麻绳从屋顶吊将起来. I just don't understand these 虚词。

[verb]将[起来/出去/近来 etc.] is apparently a dialectal expression, and the 将 is a 助词 in this case:

⑩又;且(叠用):~信~疑。〈方〉助词,用在动词和‘进来、出去’等表示趋向的补语中间:走~进去ㄧ打~起来。

It literally adds nothing to the meaning of the expression - I suspect it fills the gap between a single-character verb and directional complement (起来) for rhythmic reasons.

[verb]将[起来/出去/近来 etc.'] is apparently a dialectal expression, and the 将 is a 助词 in this case

In my opinion, it is not "apparent".

We've discussed / mentioned this usage of 將 on this website before ->

please explain this poem (post #7)

please explain this poem (post #10)

将??

but he could only say that 将 is a 虚词, without really explaining why it is there.

Look up what a 虚词 is and it my help you understand why your teacher cannot explain the WHY it is there (it's kind of the nature of a 虚词- and if you think about a 虚词 from it's 字面义 it might help as well, the meaning of 虚 i mean....) :mrgreen:

We actually don't use "将" like that in oral Chinese.

Neither do we use it in modern formal Chinese.

The case occurs only in some novels, both ancient or modern....

Explain why this character exists in the sentence? I think the purpose it's just balance the tone when you are reading it out.

In ancient China, "说书" is very popular, especially for some novels...This "将" can make the reading more attractive.

I'm pleased so many people have answered, and also that other poeple have come across this too. But the explanation that it is a filler word used before directional complements to make the sentence read better is more comprehensible to me than the explanation that this 将 is equivalent to 了. Do you mean liao3 in the meaning of finish or le as a particle? Do you mean 说将起来 is equivalent to 说起来了,with the 了 transferred to the end of the sentence?

Do you mean 说将起来 is equivalent to 说起来了,with the 了 transferred to the end of the sentence?

No. Consider 說將起來 = 說了起來;吊將起來 = 吊了起來;忙將起來 = 忙了起來;走將進去 = 走了進去;打將起來 = 打了起來;etc etc.