Chinese-Forums

我有问题,请帮助我 ;)

Weskhan

你们好,我学习中文七个月了。

Here is my question.

我在我的书看到“那个包你放进衣柜里去吧“的意思是“Will you please put that bag into the wardrobe?"

So here is what I'm looking for:

1) Could somebody explain to me what kind of sentence form this is? (If it has a name)

2) The only "command" form or "invitation" form I have learned uses "请“, so this is kind of new to me. Could somebody explain this? (Even though I do remember skimming over something about a "吧“ command form).

3) Could somebody explain the sentence form itself and give examples of other sentences using this form? "Na ge bao" at the beginning of the sentence rather than somewhere else really throws me off.

Thankyou.

By the way, first post! ^_^

That type of sentence is called "Topic-Comment Sentence." Basically the way it works is you put the object of the sentence at the very beginning of the sentence. This way the object becomes the topic of the sentence that you are commenting on. Generally you can only use topic-comment sentence if the object is previously established (definite rather than indefinite).

那个包你放进衣柜里去吧 is definite because you are talking about a specific bag ("that bag").

一个包你放进衣柜里去吧 is indefinite so it would sound awkward if you said it out of context.

The basic structure of these sentences is O-S-V instead of S-V-O. You can form it just you would form S-V-O sentences, just move the O to the very front of the sentence.

吧 softens the command. It basically serves the same function as 请, except 吧 always goes at the end of the sentence.

In your particular example the sentence structure works like this O-S-V-吧.

Here is a small example.

请给我一本书。 Please, give me a book. 请-S-V-O, the Subject is implied here (你).

now we can change it to the same structure as in your book

那本书给我吧。Give me that book, please. O-S-V-吧, once again the Subject is implied here.

Additional Examples:

电视机请你关了吧. Would you please turn off the TV?

剩一个肉丸子你就吃了吧. Would you finish off the last meat ball?

这么重的东西他能搬得动吗? Can he move such a heavy thing?

那部电影你看过吗? Have seen that movie?

Note I changed the first two into questions. I thought it would be the English equivalents.

电视机 - TV set

关 -turn off

肉丸子 -meat ball

重 -heavy

东西 -thing, object

搬 - move

动 - movement

Using Topic-Comment sentences doesn't just emphasize the object. It's making it the main point of the conversation. Generally it means there are several sentences about it.

把———— doesn't simply emphasize the object. It's main use is to emphasize the result complement of the verb as it effects the object.

For example, 把门关好了 emphasizes that the door has been shut closed (好 is the result compliment of 关).

我把书找到了 emphasizes that the book was found, not necessarily that I found it.

The replys above would have misled you.

People can understand when you say "那个包你放进衣柜里去吧", but it sounds strange and could only appear in spoken language.In fact, even in spoken language, we say "那个包,你把它放进衣柜". The normal saying is "(你)把那个包放进衣柜(吧)". Surely it's "把字句"("你" and "吧" are not necessary. But if you say that, it's ok).

"那本书给我吧", which appears in the replys, is just like the saying of "那个包你放进衣柜里去吧". Both are strange.

"O-S-V instead of S-V-O" for emphasizing on the "O" is not a suitable explanation here. You can say “那部电影你看过吗”(O-S-V) instead of"你看过那部电影吗"(S-V-O) for emphasis.But that's different.