Chinese-Forums

领域 for area of expertise?

Scoobyqueen

Would you use 领域 for area of expertise?
I think this should be fine. For a general phrase for "area of expertise", I would use 知识领域 or 专门领域 or even 专门知识领域, depending on which I feel would be clearer on the occasion. Anyhow, here are some combinations I've seen:

金融领域 (finance)

电子学领域 (electronics)

文学领域 (literature)

Edited by HashiriKata

• 1 year later...

I think that 专业 is used most often. Even when saying something like "this is my area of expertise" it would be most common to say 我的专业. Even in a particular field I think 科学专业 works better and is used more often than 科学领域. The latter I do not think is wrong, just not as common.

你的专业是什么? what is your area of expertise? is what you get to hear most often in speech.

领域 on its own is not thoroughly indicative of the meaning you wish to express. It's more like domain, sector, sphere >>技术领域 or 开新的领域 or 生活领域, synonymous to 范围, 范畴, as in: ... 在过去几十年间,女性们在专业领域内取得的成就和相关薪酬得到了充分发展与增长——尤其是已婚女性——尽管她们还没有完全追上男性。... considerable development and increase in (the area of) professional success and remuneration, especially among married working women, even if they are still not on a par with their male colleagues....

Or the famous culture debate>> 韩国在历史文化领域对中国频频发起挑战?

Now consider the position of 领域 in this sentence>> 这位科学家 在医学这一领域 处于国际领先地位。This scientist is internationally known as a leading authority in (the field of) medicine/in medical circles (医学界/ 医学圈) i.e. ranks as one of world's leading medicine experts. Here, 领域 indicates the domain of medicinal science in general.

As for 球状 for the figurative meaning of sphere, there seems to be no parallel>>sphere of interest is 利益范围. However, Chinese appears to be very logical in naming phenomena according to shape. 球状 can refer to anything in the shape of a ball/bulb from bead to blister, is used quite a lot also in medical terminology>> globular protein 球状蛋白质,etc, for more examples see 句酷. Looks like there are no 比喻s, though.