Chinese-Forums

一技之长 - use and any synonyms?

Scoobyqueen

I have said before that it seems that Chinese has many words related to skill and competence and I have often wondered if this is related to the high value placed on such qualities in Chinese society. Here is another one, this time in the form of a 成语

一技之长

I have two questions. How common is this expression in normal speech and in which situations would it typically be used, ie education or job?

Are there any other 成语-synonyms that mean skill and competence that immediately spring to mind?

Thanks in advance.

More in written than in speaking, but a common phrase regardless.

It mostly refer to the skills that enable you to make a living. For example, if you can repair bicycles or do welding, we'd say you have “一技之长”. If you can make a living being a Chinese translator, Chinese is your “一技之长”; otherwise, even if you speak Chinese better than most non-Chinese people, it can hardly be called “一技之长”.

上不上大学不要紧,有一技之长才能在社会上立足.

有了一技之长,就不怕没饭吃.

到了军中,除了锻炼体格,培养毅力之外,能学到一技之长就更好了

会刻图章,也算是有一技之长吧.

• 1 month later...