Chinese-Forums

Mandatory Military Training for College Freshmen

Entropy_Rising

So I've come to a university in Xinjiang to study and classes, as many of you know, started a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see large platoons of military camouflage wearing youngsters drilling around campus, mostly marching in formation and occasionally learning songs. They wear uniforms but they're different from the real military uniforms worn by the drill sergeants who are apparently invited to campus to kick the kids into shape. I see them at all times of the day, from morning all the way to night time when at some point they get released and the platoons disperse into a bunch of ice-cream eating soldier-students. I learned from a friend that all freshmen have to go through this.

I'm really curious - does anyone know what this is? Is this something done at all universities in China, or in specific areas? Can anyone who is familiar with or even gone through the experience share with us the extent of this mandatory military program? I've seen drill marching (向右……转!)and the singing of patriotic songs, but does it go beyond that? Do they exercise, or even practice combat drills, or go to a base to practice with equipment? Do they go through ideological training too?

I just think its interesting. I couldn't imagine the uproar if in Western universities all freshmen were required to go through some sort of weeks-long, all day introductory ROTC course.

It's nationwide - it might be taken more seriously or last longer out in Xinjiang if there's perceived to be a greater need, but I saw it happen in Dalian last year. I was under the impression that at Peking University post-1989 freshmen have actually undergone a year of training at a camp outside the city, but I can't find anything to confirm that this still happens.

yep:

the government had decided, as a precaution, to send all students entering Peking University to the army for a year of disciplining or "political re-education." This programme lasted until the university had "changed blood" - meaning that younger students would no longer have direct contact with the troublemakers . . .

Makes sense they wouldn't be still doing it, as then nobody would go there. Wasn't sure though.

But wherever you are there's a period of training at the start of freshmen year. Here's the 军训篇 from Sohu's handbook for new college students.

I couldn't imagine the uproar if in Western universities all freshmen were required to go through some sort of weeks-long, all day introductory ROTC course.

Several western countries do still have military service in place, although not necessarily during eduction period, but rather after. And it is longer than a week, equally patriotic, and includes combat training.

I personally believe this is not necessarily a bad thing: some young people could profit from some learning about discipline. However, equally, I don't believe combat training is necessarily a good thing: if we don't know how to shoot or make bombs, then we also won't miss it.

Just my 5 mao.

Edited by Senzhi
typo

I'm really curious - does anyone know what this is? Is this something done at all universities in China, or in specific areas? Can anyone who is familiar with or even gone through the experience share with us the extent of this mandatory military program? I've seen drill marching (向右……转!)and the singing of patriotic songs, but does it go beyond that? Do they exercise, or even practice combat drills, or go to a base to practice with equipment? Do they go through ideological training too?

It's for all students. I had one week of military training in high school and 3 weeks in college. Most time it was about marching. Just learn how to stand and walk, and toughen you up. No combat drills, but we had some shooting exercises with some outdated guns. That would be most exciting parts. Oh, now I’m writing this, it brings up some interesting memories. We had to get up in midnight and march from our campus to the Summer Palace and get back. On the way there were some pretending enemy movements. It was supposed to be a surprise rally, but we all knew beforehand and we already get everything prepared.

Students will have a feeling of what it means to be a soldier. It creates a strong sense of collectivism. There is tense competition between units. Every unit must prove they’re the best on all fronts. Singing songs is one way. Singing songs sometimes is a challenge to other units. To soldiers, from what I learned, no failure is personal. If you fail, your comrades suffer.

As I understand it, young men in some countries such as Israel and Taiwan must serve in army for a few years. China obviously doesn’t have practical reason for this. One year is a torture, but 3 weeks on-campus training isn’t a bad thing. I think parents, including me, don’t mind their kids go through this.

You guys are right about a lot of Western countries having military training. I guess I was being ethnocentric and referring to my own country when I used the term Western.

I still am intrigued that the practice was put in place after 1989, a year when students and soldiers didn't get along - it appears that one of the proposed responses to the "incident" of that year was simple and effective at the same time...

Today there were two volunteers students in military getups and also combat helmets standing by the front gate preventing other uniformed students from leaving the campus. I can understand that but the shiny helmets were a slightly hilarious touch.

I found some of the information I was looking for in the link Roddy provided. I invite anyone to correct my inevitably incorrect attempts at translation.

军训的科目包括:队列练习、喊口号、匍匐前进、拉歌、半夜拉练等。除了正常的军事训练,有些高校还会有战地救护、轻武器射击、军事地形学、电脑兵棋推演(模拟二战的主要战例)等科目。

The military training class includes: drilling in formation, slogan chanting, prostrate crawling, singing (not sure), and night time field training. In additional to normal military training, some colleges will also practice battlefield rescue, firing light arms, military land navigation, and computerized war game scenarios (not sure about this one either) (simulating major World War 2 battles).

Here's a list of D and C commands, like, attention, at ease, forward march, blah blah blah. Not going to bother trying to translate these technical terms, but here they are:

队列练习是军训重头戏,它包括:立正、稍息、停止间转法、行进、齐步走、正步、跑步、踏步、立定、蹲下、起立、整理着装、整齐报数、敬礼、礼毕、跨立、半夜拉练等等。简单讲:军训就是“站军姿、走正步,简单动作机械地重复几百次”。

The participants are told on their first day:

在这15天里,你们已不学生,你们只是军人;这里只存在服从,没有权力说不

"For these 15 days, you are not students. You are soldiers, there are only orders here, you do not have the right to say no."

在军训中最苦的科目是匍匐前进,最吸引人的科目就是打靶。最常唱的军歌是《打靶归来》《我是一个兵》《爱我中华》。最自豪的科目是“阅兵式”

During military training the most difficult class is the prostrate crawling, and the most enjoyed class is target practice. The military songs must often sung are "Hit your target then go home," "I am a soldier" and "Love our China." The class that evokes the most pride is the troop review.

I still am intrigued that the practice was put in place after 1989

As far as I recall it was in place before 1989, but was extended to one year then.

My wife certainly recalls doing Military Training in High School pre 89. I have the photos. She looks dangerous with a rifle.

Edited by liuzhou
to correct typo