Chinese-Forums

碰钉子- used for University and job rejection

Scoobyqueen

Here's an armchair advice for you, so don't take it too seriously:mrgreen:: I think 碰钉子 is a very informal word, tends to be used between individuals in informal situations. So it doesn't seem to me to be a good candidate for formal use to refer to the rejection of job/ university applications (but it can be used conversationally for this kind of setbacks, I should imagine).

Edited by HashiriKata

I think 碰钉子 is a very informal word, tends to be used between individuals in informal situations

True. But 棺材钉 really takes the biscuit. So if you say, ''哎哟,我那份工肯定被棺材钉封了。" People with general understanding of Chinese language will surely understand you: your job is even worse than the rejection; there's no hope at all.

Okay? So you've learnt a new way to use 棺材钉 today.

Jialihai Jiejie

HashiriKata is correct.

"碰钉子" can be used for not only unsuccessful sales bidsand a job rejection or rejected from a particular university. In many situation when you are refused by somebody, you can say 碰到钉子了.

For example

You invite a pretty chinese girl to a concert, but she said she was so busy. I am your friend and know this thing, When I see your are despondent I guess you were refused. Then I will ask you "又碰钉子了?"

This tone maybe a tiny self-mockery or prank, can used in written, but can't used in formal documents.