Chinese-Forums

容易 vs 简单

Meng Lelan

In my opinion, "jiandan" and "rongyi" have the similar meaning when they are used predicative adjective in Chinese grammar. For instance, there is the same meaning between"这个问题很容易" and "这个问题很简单". But "rongyi" usually used as adverbial modifier to modify the predicate verb. It means easily. For example, "这个问题很容易(被)回答(zhege wenti hen rongyi(bei) huida)". In English grammar, "This question is easy to answer", "easy" was a predicative adjective, "to answer" was regarded as the complement of the predicative adjective. But in Chinese grammar "rongyi" modify "huida". "zhege wenti" is subject, "huida" is predicate verb, "rongyi" is used adverbial modifier. Whereas "jiandan" is hardly used as adverbial modifier.

This is my view, don't know whether express clearly, only supply for your reference!

I don't have a good answer for this question but in an attempt to find out the difference, I came up with these two sentences:

简单地解决一个不容易的问题.

容易地解决一个不简单的问题.

Are they both correct? If they are, they seem to mean slightly different from each other.

(And also:

(简单地解决 is not quite the same as 容易地解决

不容易的问题 is not quite the same as 不简单的问题)