Chinese-Forums

在家闲不住 -meaning?

Scoobyqueen

To be honest if you're going to rely on free dictionaries you need to be using more than one, plus trying to figure things out from context in web searches. Given that Chinese seems to be important for your work I'm a bit surprised you haven't invested in a decent dictionary.

for example,a 60 years old ppl retired,and stay at home allll the day,he must try to do something he think it's intersting to spend the time,or he would feel bored....now,he is called 在家闲不住,not really make himself very busy.:)

It is a funny phrase since 闲 is being used as a verb here. The force of the phrase is "[You, I, He/She etc.] are at home, but [we] can't be doing nothing", i.e. "...gotta find something to do"; presumably this comes from having too much leisure time on your hands (the 闲 bit) and it is not being properly used (the 不住 bit?).

ye...

it's depend the contex,haha...i find it's interesting...the sentence have two means that expressd the meaning opposite

one meaning is you have nothing to do and u want to do somthing to enrich your life

the other meaning is you ...has been doing things in home...walking to here and there in room,clear room...and so on...

sometimes,we also describe a kid that seem as "hyperactivity" with the word"闲不住"...:twisted:

Thank you for the contributions. I felt the dictionary definition did not adecuately cover the scenarios some of you have deescribed here. The context I saw it in was something about a girl going out spending lots of money and her mother saying 在家闲不住

I was not sure if this meant she should stay in and make herself busy doing housework instead or if it was the meaning that Hanlink suggests that she cant sit still.

Cheers again for the illuminations.

well,if is in this context,the meaning is what Hanlink say(needs to find something useful or meaningful to do).

and pls note that the "meaningful" "uesful" is not for everyone...

i.e the gril go out and spend lots of money for her own pleasure

and may be becaues she broken up with her BF just now and feel pain and must go out to do sth to forget the boy...