Chinese-Forums

如何是否 ?

FromMars

The context if you're in a museum I think..

如何是否有一種物超所值的感覺。

I'm thrown off by the period, but my impression is it's actually questioning something instead of stating. My guess was something along the lines of "Don't you feel you've got your moneys worth?", as I think this is said when the people in the script are leaving the museum, and the person that they paid and guided them around is the person who says this phrase. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

I think it is better if you can provide the full text from which this sentence was taken from, otherwise there would be nothing more I, and probably many others, could add other than stating your interpretation sounds reasonable or not.

Anyway, I think you've got the point here. 物超所值 basically means (something) worth more than the price you have paid for. And if it is a question, a question mark is necessary at the end of the sentence, with 如何 separated by a comma from the main part, like: 如何,是否有一種物超所值的感覺?

I think the meaning of 物超所值 is actually: by far surpassing the material worth of something.

Also 如何是否 ? must be a typo as 如何 cannot be used together with 是否 in this way, in one sentence.

Biaozhun yongfa would be either: ...如何?是否...? or: noun 如何,是否+verb...

My correction and translation:

...如何?是否有一種物超所值的感覺。

And what do you think of...? Doesn't it make you feel like it's worth much more (than it's actually estimated)?

I know it looks odd, but there is nothing separating 如何 and 是否 in the original. The sentence starts of like this, I didn't copy it from the middle or anything. So you can see why it looked odd to me too :)

I see you all got pretty much what I assumed though, and adding a question mark between the two really puts it together much more naturally.

Thanks guys!

I see you all got pretty much what I assumed though, and adding a question mark between the two really puts it together much more naturally.

Re "naturally", if it is in a script and meant for part of a dialogue, I would think that 如何 is seldom used in daily conversation. 是否 is also less common than the "... 嗎?" and "... 覺不覺得 ...? / 是不是 ...?" structures.

An alternative - "怎樣?是不是有物超所值的感覺?"