Chinese-Forums

Use of 將

FromMars

I can't seem to find any definite resources out there for grammar, so I'm asking here. What is the use of 將 in sentences? It seems as though it acts pretty much the same as 以 or 用 in the sentences it appears in. I'm aware of it's sense of future when used with verbs, but what I am talking about is its use in sentences like the following:

弗雷可能已經將西芙項鍊祭入生命之爐了

Is it just simply "use"?

And as long as I have that example here, does 祭入 just mean enter? No dictionaries list it.

I hope someone can help as this grammar point isn't discussed in any books I own, which seems ridiculous with how often I see it.

You should certainly treat the 將 used here as a more formal 把. In addition, 項鍊 should be 項鏈 (necklace). Here 祭 has to be treated as a verb, probably something like 'made a sacrifice of Xifu's necklace by putting it in the...'. It is a very strange sentence from a very strange story!