Chinese-Forums

二赖子,二愣子,二憨子,二混子

yersi

Going through 菊豆 with the subs2srs program, I came across the word 二赖子 èrlàizi - "shameless loafer", and immediately associated it with a word I'd learned before, 二愣子 èrlèngzi - "idiot". By searching Wenlin I found two other similar words 二憨子 and 二混子.

As far as I can tell, 子 is used as a suffix here to make an adjective into a noun, but what function does 二 have in these words?

I think 二 has acquired its derogatory sense out of being associated with 二等,二手,二把手,etc., and seems to mean something very close to "stupid/ muddleheaded" in the words cited above. This feeling seems to be confirmed by the word 二百五, which simply means a stupid person. What I'm interested to know is how 百五 is invloved in this. Native Chinese speakers may know something about the origin of this 百五 or 二百五 ??

二 can be used on it's own as a bit of an insult - as the link says,it's a bit stupider than stupid and bordering on deficient. There are explanations for 二百五 here, such as four criminals handing themselves in to get a 1000 . . . whatever it was, closed that tab now . . reward split four ways (hence 250) and getting executed (hence stuipd).