Chinese-Forums

Meaning of "过分“

Yeke

I am not sure if I have wrote it right. I apologize if I messed up. pinyin is guo4 fen4!

Background story on my question:

I was in Harbin at the Disney Ice World (ice lanterns) with my cousin. It was on Christmas day at nine oclock, we bought two tickets from a reseller because the booth was closed. We went in and in the range of 40 minutes the park slowly went dark (inviting the people to exit).

When we where about to exit he told me: 太过分了!

I believe it meant: It sucked, he was expecting more.

But what is the real meaning? how can I use it in the everyday life?

Thanks

The basic meaning of 过分 is "excessive." 过分 or just 过 are used in formal chinese the same way 太 is used colloquially. (As a general rule 过分 is used with two-syllable adjectives and 过 with one-syllable adjectives. So "too expensive" could be 太贵了,过贵,or 过分昂贵).

过分 is used colloquially to express exasperation (just as in english someone might say "This is really too much!"). You can use it in almost any situation where you think someone is being unreasonable or bothersome.