Chinese-Forums

介 as a measure word

yersi

I recently came across two instances where 介 was used as a measure word (鄙夫 and 書生), and decided to look it up in Wenlin. Wenlin says that it is a measure for "common people and scholars", sort of a counterpart to 位 which is used for people of high status.

My question is, does this have relatively neutral connotations or is it a very negative measure that "devalues" that which is being measured, so to speak?

you mean "一介书生” or “一介儒生”

I think it depends on the occasions

for example, if a 书生 says :"我只不过是一介书生罢了" (I am just a 书生)

actually he is trying to be modest and gentle

but if another person in certain occasion says that, for example, " he is just a 书生, he can do nothing at all", in this situation, as you can see, it is negative

Thanks for the explanation, but I was aware of the expression "一介書生" before I posted this thread; what made me confused was that 一介 seems to be collocated with many other nouns, not just 書生, 儒生 or other synonyms for "scholar". Here are some examples from Jukuu:

他是一介寒士, 除书以外, 别无长物

愤世嫉俗者:一介鄙夫,他的有缺陷的视力,只看到他想看的东西,而不是它们应该的样子

前任总统现在是一介平民

一介武夫

Would I be correct in assuming that 介 in these sentences is used to further emphasize the humbleness of the person it is used as a measure for?